Long thread locking up my browser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitchen Barbarian

Senior Cook
There's a thread entitled "What are you baking today?"

What are you baking today? - Page 599 - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Every time I try to load, it starts crashing scripts left and right. The pages on this site are normally pretty slow to load, but this is totally a gone goose. Once I try to load that page, which has nearly 6k postings, it locks my browser up (FireFox ESR) and the only way out is to kill it with the Task Manager.

I am running Win7.

Is there any chance someone could just lock that thread and start a new one? 6k postings is an awful lot .... surely a new thread is warranted by now.

I have the same FF ESR and Win 7, no problems here and it loads fast. Could be your connection speed.

There's a thread entitled "What are you baking today?"

What are you baking today? - Page 599 - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Every time I try to load, it starts crashing scripts left and right. The pages on this site are normally pretty slow to load, but this is totally a gone goose. Once I try to load that page, which has nearly 6k postings, it locks my browser up (FireFox ESR) and the only way out is to kill it with the Task Manager.

I am running Win7.

Is there any chance someone could just lock that thread and start a new one? 6k postings is an awful lot .... surely a new thread is warranted by now.

I think this is a good idea actually... 6 K is too long and it might be more interesting to see this topic by year. Standby...

KB, you can limit the number of posts shows on a page. Click User CP and under Edit Options, at the bottom of the page, select how many posts to show. hth.

I have FF 24.0 on my Mac. What is the ESR designation?

I am running FF 24.0 on a PC/Win7. I have no such issues. ESR stands for Extended Support Release.

From the Mozilla website:
"Who is it for?

Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses.
Who is it not for?

Individual users who always want the latest features, performance enhancements and technologies in their browser without waiting for them to become available in ESR several development cycles later._

Thanks Hoot! I appreciate your digging that up for me. No I don't feel like I'm missing out on some cool stuff that others have.

So, every thread that's a year old gets closed and a new one started in its place now?
Will we be able to access the old thread, or will it be linked from the new thread in case we want to reference something?

I use chrome and never have issues with any of the very large threads. The only way that I could see that happening is if it was trying to load every post all at once instead of the page that you are viewing, is that even possible?

It is not my connection speed, it is this site and only this site (re how slow the pages are to load).

And my FF is fully updated with all security updates. So is my anti-virus software, which I run regularly.

FF ESR is for anybody who hates rapid release and having to "fix" whatever the latest breakage to the interface is THIS time, LOL! At least this way I only have to fix things once every few months, instead of every few days.

KB, you can limit the number of posts shows on a page. Click User CP and under Edit Options, at the bottom of the page, select how many posts to show. hth.

Yeah, it's the total length of the thread that seems to be throwing my browser into conniptions. It doesn't seem like it SHOULD - but it does. The only thing I can see different about that thread is the total length - and that DOES affect how long it takes to populate the scrolling list of all thread entries that is displayed right above the postings, which is what you are talking about. The number of postings actually displayed is immaterial - it's that 6k long list of "what's for supper" that is bolluxing things up, LOL!

But the thread has been broken out so hopefully that will solve my problem!

If you have changed the number of posts displayed (to something other than the default 10) you might be hitting a bug that is known in vB. You can change your pagination back to 10 then reset back to the higher number and that usually fixes things.

FWIW, I use Google on an Asus notebook and have whatever the latest update is. Never a problem with that, or any, thread. A lot of us don't have any problems in spite of your issues. Hmm, maybe you're getting ALL the problems on your PC? :ermm: And I thank you for that! :flowers:

FWIW, I use Google on an Asus notebook and have whatever the latest update is. Never a problem with that, or any, thread. A lot of us don't have any problems in spite of your issues. Hmm, maybe you're getting ALL the problems on your PC? :ermm: And I thank you for that! :flowers:

Do you mean Chrome? ;) Google is a search engine and software developer.

If you have changed the number of posts displayed (to something other than the default 10) you might be hitting a bug that is known in vB. You can change your pagination back to 10 then reset back to the higher number and that usually fixes things.

If I did, I don't remember doing so - and can't find a place to change it now.

Regardless, a 6k long thread going back 8 years is a bit much - and since the thread has been split, I no longer have any problem loading it. No more locking up!

Consider the likelihood that anyone coming across the thread who found it to be crashing their browser just didn't bother coming back to the forum any more, also.

However, it is more likely one of my security settings than anything else. Probably one of the ones that limits the amount of memory any given foreign site is allowed to use for cookies and whatnot.

The current thread, while still really long (long enough that nobody is going to read through the whole thing, plus since the topic is pretty time-limited anyway, there's no real reason to do such a thing), is much more manageable - or maybe less UNmanageable, LOL!

I hope things will smooth out for you. I will say that I regularly participate on the Song Title Game thread which has over 1200 pages and I have never experienced slow loading or crashing.

Back
Top Bottom