Boston Restaurant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ill be up in boston in January.
Looking forward to some good eats.
I know a bunch of you are from the area, and I'd love to have a few recommendations.

Here's the catch. Must have vegetarian options.
Not looking for specific vegetarian restaurants.
Im not a health-vegetarian, and eat cheese and all that .

Therefore, a good Italian restaurant ( plenty of pasta options), Chinese, any other ethnic options too would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Well, its that time of the year again. Ill be up in Boston later on this month, and Im wondering if there are any people familiar with some 'Must See' foodie places i should check out.

-Restaurants ( with vegetarian options, doesnt have to be health food)
-Markets
-Ethnic stores
-Places to get foods that are symbolic of Boson
-anything else

Ill be staying about a block away from the aquarium

You're in a great location if you want the heart of the Italian community in Boston. A short walk away are Hanover and Salem streets in the North End. Top notch Italian restaurants, bakeries and markets. You can just about close your eyes and pick any one.

Check out Mama Maria's, Five North Square, Strega, Davio's for restaurants. Modern Pastry and Mike's Pastry - don't get caught up in the argument over which is better.

Right around the corner from there is Quincy Market for a touristy food and shopping area. Also Durgin Park and Union Oyster Houses are traditional old Boston restaurants. The Union Oyster House is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the US.

Of course, the Aquarium is a great lace to visit but they don't serve fish ;-))

You're in a great location if you want the heart of the Italian community in Boston. A short walk away are Hanover and Salem streets in the North End. Top notch Italian restaurants, bakeries and markets. You can just about close your eyes and pick any one.

Check out Mama Maria's, Five North Square, Strega, Davio's for restaurants. Modern Pastry and Mike's Pastry - don't get caught up in the argument over which is better.

Right around the corner from there is Quincy Market for a touristy food and shopping area. Also Durgin Park and Union Oyster Houses are traditional old Boston restaurants. The Union Oyster House is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the US.

Of course, the Aquarium is a great lace to visit but they don't serve fish ;-))

I hardly ever disagree with you .... but I'd avoid Strega at all costs. I'd also avoid Union Oyster House unless it's just for the oysters. And there are many better options for oysters around, like Island Creek Oyster Bar and Neptune and Row 34.

A better site to answer Larry's questions is CHOWHOUND's Boston Board: Greater Boston Area - Chowhound

Most of them have been asked and answered many times.

I hardly ever disagree with you .... but I'd avoid Strega at all costs. I'd also avoid Union Oyster House unless it's just for the oysters. And there are many better options for oysters around, like Island Creek Oyster Bar and Neptune and Row 34.

A better site to answer Larry's questions is CHOWHOUND's Boston Board: Greater Boston Area - Chowhound

Most of them have been asked and answered many times.

Jen, thanks for setting this straight.

Am I thinking about a different restaurant? I remember Davio's being right around the corner from Hanover.

Must be a different spot.

Davio's has never been in the North End. It started on Newbury and moved into a much larger and swanker spot on Arlington St. in the old Paine furniture space maybe 10 years ago. Across form Park Plaza hotel.

It's a chain, now ....:(

Must be a different spot.

Davio's has never been in the North End. It started on Newbury and moved into a much larger and swanker spot on Arlington St. in the old Paine furniture space maybe 10 years ago. Across form Park Plaza hotel.

It's a chain, now ....:(

I bow to your superior knowledge of the Boston restaurant scene. We don't get into town much anymore.

Thanks for the tip. Ill definitely make my way up there.
And now for an off topic question.
My daytime is going to be filled with lectures, so I was wondering what areas of the city or activities at night ? ( in new york we're always in times square/ broadway) but Im not familiar with Boston at all, other than where the convention center is. So any tips or website suggestions would be great.

and keep the restaurant/ market suggestions coming.

Thanks for the tip. Ill definitely make my way up there.
And now for an off topic question.
My daytime is going to be filled with lectures, so I was wondering what areas of the city or activities at night ? ( in new york we're always in times square/ broadway) but Im not familiar with Boston at all, other than where the convention center is. So any tips or website suggestions would be great.

and keep the restaurant/ market suggestions coming.

Which convention center?

Yankee Dental Convention , last weekend in Jan/ first in Feb.
Nothing more exciting than spending 3 or 4 days with thousands of dentists, listening to lectures about teeth :) thats why ill need something to do at night , to help me get my sanity back

Yankee Dental Convention , last weekend in Jan/ first in Feb.
Nothing more exciting than spending 3 or 4 days with thousands of dentists, listening to lectures about teeth :) thats why ill need something to do at night , to help me get my sanity back

YIKES! Some kind of sugar free cocktails too!:D

I meant which convention center will you be at? Which hotel too for that matter?

convention center is Boston Convention & Exhibit Center on Summer street.
There was a marriott across the street I stayed at the past few years,( for convenience sake, i dont like relying on the shuttle busses) but this year we mixed things up a bit, staying near the aquarim, long wharf marriott, or something like that . And it looks like the winter has settled in, so ill have to deal with the shuttle busses

No Name Restuarant. Been a while since I have been there. But the food was great.

Historic Fish Pier, Boston
15 1/2 Fish Pier Street West
South Boston, MA
p: 617.338.7539

Back
Top Bottom