ISO "super-simple" Crock-Pot recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
None of those things cook well in a crock pot, except for pork shoulder.

I respectfully disagree - they can all be done in a crock pot.

In addition they can all be a part of a recipe that is not just a hunk of meat.

Hoot's suggestion is a very good one.

Do you have a round crock pot or an oval?

With an oval you actually have more options for doing whole chickens, roasts, lasagna etc.

Meat and vegies and some broth make for a great stew or soup.

Addie suggested ham hocks and lima beans - another great idea.

Crock pots are awesome for many types of bean dishes.

I have used crock pots for many years and right now I have 3 of them - a regular tall round, an oval and a mini and they all get used regularly.

Chicken thighs are ok in a slow cooker but that's about it. Ham hocks for sure but that's about it. Steak and pasta will be pretty much ruined in a slow cooker.

I'd suggest stews using pork shoulder or beef chuck. Beans.

This is a what not to do for slow cookery from the folks at Bon Appetit.

"We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: it’s now slow-cooked food season. While we usually tend toward our Dutch ovens for things like chili, braised chicken, and pulled pork, we totally understand the “set it and forget it” appeal of a plugged-in slow cooker. But people often take that mentality too literally and screw up what could be a deliciously low-and-slow-cooked meal. We asked senior food editor Dawn Perry how to make the absolute worst crock pot dish ever—i.e., how to avoid making mistakes and instead produce tender, delicious meat and absolutely no mushy vegetables."

How to Make the Worst Crock-Pot Meal Ever - Bon Appétit

Last edited:
I gotta say I like "rubbery, chewy, gelatinous chicken skin" but then I also love me some tripe. :LOL:
Mrs Hoot makes me take the skin off the chicken anyway when using the crock pot.

chuck roast, seasoned and browned in a pan, pop it into the crock pot, add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix. Rinse the can with a bit of water and toss that in too. Maybe a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. It's surprisingly good.

This is coming from someone who doesn't like canned soup (except tomato) and doesn't use onion soup mix for anything else.

Most new appliances come with an instruction manual that includes recipes. You might try some of those as they will be written with your particular unit in mind. However if you are looking for a ridiculously easy recipe toss a can of Chili with beans in the crock pot. Throw in a hunk of Velveeta or a block of cream cheese. Heat on low for several hours stirring occaisionally. Serve hot with corn chips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom