Pecan Pie issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charbear23

Assistant Cook
I am attempting to make my first Pecan Pie to take to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. My husband and I are newlyweds and it is his favorite- so I am attemtping to make it for him. How do I tell when it is done???? I think my Marie Callendar frozen crust is falling apart. Any way to prevent this? I took it out of the oven and it seems really runny. Is this normal?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Pie

Yes the extra time is what is needed. it almost looks like it is going to burn but it won't.
I also have a story to tell about this pie. My best cooking accomplishment. except for this one time.
Well one year my,my wife ask" can you make a lower fat pecan pie? So I thought and thought. Bingo I said! Yes I will use egg beaters. I did not think this through as you will see.What do you make a souffle out of? Egg whites {even if they have coloring added} lol well 40 minutes into the pie cooking Ilook into the oven and what do I see? a pecan pie 4 inches tall. It is at this time I remember about egg whites and there ablity to rise. so when I take the pie out it falls Boo Hoo. it was sort of gooey but trasted good.
The moral of the story.Don't take short cuts with this wonderful pie :twisted:

Forgive me if this is off point but if you ever decide you'd like to make your own crust, you can make 3 or 4 batches and freeze it. It stays fresh for a long time and you always have crust on hand for anything you want to do from Pecan Pie to Pot Pie to Petite Apple Crumblies. It's a wonderful way to get rid of leftovers, etc-just throw them in a pie crust with some broth.

Homemade crust is so versatile and once you get the hang of it, you can make it to fit your taste instead of trying to make a store crust fit what you need. Also, make sure to flatten each batch into an oval rather than a ball before freezing. It makes it easier to roll out once it warms up.

Hope your pie was wonderful. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom