Macaroons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
My recipe for macaroons calls for 4 C unsweetened coconut and 2 T powdered sugar. I want to use sweetened coconut. How much powdered sugar would you recommend?

Not very sweet. I was kind of thinking that the sugar on the coconut would be enough.

Most coconut macaroon recipes use a lot more sugar than your recipe, plus they usually use sweetened coconut. The recipe I've been using for years has about 3 cups sweetened coconut and 1/2 -2/3 cups sugar. I hate overly sweet desserts, and this is definitely not too sweet, especially since sweetened coconut is just mildly sweet. So, for your recipe, I would still use the 2 Tbsp powdered sugar along with the sweetened coconut.

I always immerse the macaroons in bittersweet chocolate, but that's another story!

Last edited:
I made them without the confectioner's sugar and the were great! I neglected to say they also included 1/2 C regular granulated sugar in the meringue. The dough (batter?) was so good I wanted to just eat it out of the bowl.

Lime Coconut Macaroons
4 C sweetened flaked coconut
1 C ground almonds
Zest of 1 1/2 limes
3 lg. egg yolks
1/2 C granulated sugar

Heat oven to 300 degrees and cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Mix the coconut, ground almonds and lime zest in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg whites and granulated sugar til stiff peaks form. With a spatula, mix the egg mixture with the dry ingredients. Drop generous teaspoonsful of the mixture on the parchment and bake 15-20 min til lightly browned. Cool completely on the pans. Makes about 4 dozen.

Back
Top Bottom