Shitake Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Remove the stems from 1 lb. of shitakes and discard or save them for veggie stock. Set aside a quarter of caps and chop the remaining caps fine, Melt 3 Tab. butter in heavy stock pan over med. heat. Add 3 minced large shallots sauté them til soft and tender about 5-7 min. reduce heat to low and add the chopped shitakes and sauté til very soft about 15 min. Now slice the reserved caps and add them and 1/4 cup madeira to the pot and cover bring to boil cook til shitake slices are wilted about 5 min. Add 3 cups of chicken stock simmer 10 min. reduce the heat to low and stir in2 cups half and half and about 8 oz. of young chevre crumbled. Stir til cheese melts don't let the soup boil.
Season with cracked black pepper and salt pour into warm bowls and top soup with chopped chives.
enjoy
kades

Ma, you have inspired me. I have a big bag of dried shitakes from the Asian market that I almost forgot about! Thanks!

Ma, you have inspired me. I have a big bag of dried shitakes from the Asian market that I almost forgot about! Thanks!

That reminds me of the story Maryanne Esposito told on her show one day.

She was in Italy and bought a large box of mushrooms to use in her class the next day. She put the box in her trunk and forgot all about them. They stayed there in the hot summer heat until the next day when she remembered them, as she was getting ready for her class. She went to the trunk of her car, and all she found was a box of fat worms that had eaten all her beautiful mushrooms. :angel:

+1 Me too Dawg! By the way, I like to use them in my quick and easy Asian soup. I'll post the recipe if you like. ;)

Sounds great kades, I love mushroom soup and the Madeira wine will set it apart. :yum:

+1 Me too Dawg! By the way, I like to use them in my quick and easy Asian soup. I'll post the recipe if you like. ;)

Sounds great kades, I love mushroom soup and the Madeira wine will set it apart. :yum:

Yes please!

That reminds me of the story Maryanne Esposito told on her show one day.

She was in Italy and bought a large box of mushrooms to use in her class the next day. She put the box in her trunk and forgot all about them. They stayed there in the hot summer heat until the next day when she remembered them, as she was getting ready for her class. She went to the trunk of her car, and all she found was a box of fat worms that had eaten all her beautiful mushrooms. :angel:

:LOL: I remember that story, Addie! And someone from DC had an equally disappointing story, maybe with truffles? They were lovingly trudged back from Italy. Was it you, Kayelle?

Last edited:
:LOL: I remember that story, Addie! And someone from DC had an equally disappointing story, maybe with truffles? They were lovingly trudged back from Italy. Was it you, Kayelle?

Yup, sadly it was me Dawg:cry: I brought back a small fortune of dried Porcini mushrooms infested with Italian weevils complete with Italian mustaches singing La Dolce Vita. :brows:

I gotta tell you this. The first time I bought shiitake mushrooms, I hadn't mentioned it to DH. He opened the cabinet and saw the bag of dried shiitakes and yelled, "WTH is this! Sh*t cakes?!?" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom