11 x 7 broiler safe baking dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I have numerous recipes calling for a 11 x 7 broiler safe baking dish, mostly for casseroles and such that are broiled to brown the stop. The only 11 x 7 dish I own or have seen is Pyrex, which from what I understand is not broiler safe. I've searched Google and Amazon and cannot find anything... where would I find such a pan?

That was to show you mainly what you are to look for. Ceramic or stoneware that is oven safe.

Thanks; though, my main issue is the 11 x 7 size. I do already have a ceramic, broiler-safe 13 x 9 dish.

Thanks; though, my main issue is the 11 x 7 size. I do already have a ceramic, broiler-safe 13 x 9 dish.

Two inches are not going to make a big difference, if any difference at all, in your final dish. A recipe is only a guide. :angel:

Two inches are not going to make a big difference, if any difference at all, in your final dish. A recipe is only a guide. :angel:
It might take less time to bake it all the way through.

It seems to me that I have used Pyrex for this. I won't promise that it is okay, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Pyrex dish when the broiling time is only a minute or three at the end of the baking time.

It might take less time to bake it all the way through.

It seems to me that I have used Pyrex for this. I won't promise that it is okay, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Pyrex dish when the broiling time is only a minute or three at the end of the baking time.

I have to agree with you TL. If the dish has been baking in the oven and is going directly from baking to the broiler for top browning or melting, then there should be no problem. The secret would be in having the extra shelf in place close to the broiler as possible before you start to bake the dish. Then you just have to move it up to the top shelf and change from baking to broiling. :angel:

There's a big difference in the capacity of 11x7 and 13x9-inch pans. The capacity of an 8x8 pan is the same as 11x7 - 6 cups - and probably is about the same depth, so the contents won't spread out too much. They're pretty common, too. That's what I'd use.

Here's a link to a conversion chart Janet posted last year: Baking Pan Size Conversion

There is a certain type of pottery known as "flameware", both generically and as a product name by Longaberger Baskets. Emile Henry has offered broiler-safe casseroles for years but I've always thought of them as out of my price range. Not because they aren't worth it, but because I can be clumsy in the kitchen. :ermm: Pretty much most flameware is off limits. :LOL:

I did risk buying two nice handled soup bowls from Scargo Pottery on Cape Cod a few years back (I tend to buy a bowl from a local pottery as a vacation "souvenir") and find them wonderful for French Onion soup - flameware's broiler-safe qualities are great! Dang, now I want some FO soup! :yum:

I have numerous recipes calling for a 11 x 7 broiler safe baking dish, mostly for casseroles and such that are broiled to brown the top. The only 11 x 7 dish I own or have seen is Pyrex, which from what I understand is not broiler safe. I've searched Google and Amazon and cannot find anything... where would I find such a pan?

I wouldn't hesitate to use Pyrex to broil the top, and have done so many many times.:chef:

If you're really concerned, I believe those throw away pans come in an 11x7 size. For me, it wouldn't be worth the shelf space or cost to buy a special pan for just this purpose.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to use Pyrex to broil the top, and have done so many many times.:chef:

+1

I also have Le Creuset stoneware pans I've put under the broiler just for browning. I think any stoneware would be fine for this, since they clay they're made from is fired at 1000s of degrees.

There is a certain type of pottery known as "flameware", both generically and as a product name by Longaberger Baskets. Emile Henry has offered broiler-safe casseroles for years but I've always thought of them as out of my price range. Not because they aren't worth it, but because I can be clumsy in the kitchen. :ermm: Pretty much most flameware is off limits. :LOL:

I did risk buying two nice handled soup bowls from Scargo Pottery on Cape Cod a few years back (I tend to buy a bowl from a local pottery as a vacation "souvenir") and find them wonderful for French Onion soup - flameware's broiler-safe qualities are great! Dang, now I want some FO soup! :yum:

CG, a number of years ago, at a yard sale I bought a brown FO soup pot with four matching soup bowls. Spike has the set now and it makes the best, most delicious FO soup you could ask for. I get a bowl every time he makes it. But he makes sure he gets the bowl back. It even has the ceramic ladle. :angel:

Although this is a bit pricey, this is what they are referring to. There are just as good and similar less expensive ones out there.

And you are right. Pyrex is not safe to use in this manner.

Le Creuset Heritage 4-Qt. Covered Casserole Dish | CHEFScatalog.com
:angel:
I didn't know you can't put Pyrex under the broiler. I'd better stop it. I also use ovenproof ceramic dishes under the broiler. It only stays under there for a few minutes while the food browns.

I didn't know you can't put Pyrex under the broiler. I'd better stop it. I also use ovenproof ceramic dishes under the broiler. It only stays under there for a few minutes while the food browns.

Pyrex was bought by another company. They changed the formula and the new ones have exploded without any due cause. The old ones are much stronger and can be used under the broiler. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom