Wot's in't pan, Stan? Dinner 12/22/13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
KIPPERS!not yer wishy washy,mamby pamby,pale & flaccid,vac packed boil in the bag artificially flavoured,coloured & smoked tasteless excuses for kippers that have no more right to exist on god's clean earth than a weasel:ermm:.....no siree.nor your much vaunted but totally over-rated manx kipper.look you lot on the isle of man,you may well have three legs & cats with no tails:ermm: but,imho,your kippers are boney,skinny,over salted,over smoked and,thankfully,over there.no,my fellow gastronauts,i refer to the scottish kipper.and not just any scottish kipper,but loch fyne scottish kippers.and not just any loch fyne scottish kipper,but big,fat,juicy,oily oak/beechwood smoked loch fyne scottish kippers.no pissy wissy lemon shall ever see my kippers.nope,it's gotta be malt vinegar.not just any malt vinegar,it's gotta be sarsons malt vinegar to be precise.they've been making vinegar since 1794,so i guess they know there stuff.i use the spray because when the fine mist hits the hot kipper it evaporates & makes your eyes water,your throat burn & your nose run.it's part of the fun.bread & butter on the side,wholemeal of course & lurpak danish butter....no other!
to drink,well,it's gotta be wild turkey 81...81 proof kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.on the rocks of course.food of the gods,to be sure

Attachments

• LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 001.JPG
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 001.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 237
  • LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 005.JPG
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 005.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 209
  • LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 008.JPG
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 008.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 264
  • LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 002.jpg
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 230
  • LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 003.jpg
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 219
  • LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 004.JPG
    LOCH FYNE KIPPERS 004.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 183
Bet that was good. I need to get my hands on some of that. The kippers, I mean.:LOL:
y'mean a kipper chaser after the wild turkey of course eh,rock;)?
the loch fyne's are the best.i mean,scotland has some of the best produce,on land and sea,anywhere in the world,imo.when i think smoked anything,i think scotland,every time:yum:!!

Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow roast it. Going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...
oh boy oh boy:chef:!!man that looks good rock:yum:!missed your food & pics.good to see you are back and cookin' up a storm,as usual matey:cool:!

y'mean a kipper chaser after the wild turkey of course eh,rock;)?
the loch fyne's are the best.i mean,scotland has some of the best produce,on land and sea,anywhere in the world,imo.when i think smoked anything,i think scotland,every time:yum:!!
Great tip. I will scour the land for scottish smoked products....I know where to get the wild turkey.:-p

Kippers... Aside from Supertramp and now, I'd have never heard of them.
They look like they'd be great for munching on during the football game.

perfect anytime mate:yum:!kippers & scrambled egg's for brekkie are another fav of mine.they also make a fabulous paté.kippers...the perfect way to lower your cholesterol & get your omega3.only £5/$7.5 kilo,less than £2.5/$4 lb.bargain!!TESCO of course;)!!

Tesco... that's the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap store. Right? :LOL:

oh yeah,forgot to mention.percy pepper & karen kipper are lovers.lots & lots of ground black pepper on the kippers,before cooking.i just whack them on the top shelf of my main oven,at 275c/530f for 10 mins.that's it,no oil or fats needed.the kippers have plenty of their own,you can see the oil that has run,in the second pic,after cooking:yum:!!

We're going out to dinner tonight to our favorite restaurant. I'll be having muscles for my appetizer but not sure what I'll have for the entree.

I'm making a variation on Whiska's Totchos.

Tesco sounds kinda like our Costco or Sam's Club.

Last edited:
TB is getting his steak today and I will try a little more chicken, though I am not at all hungry.

Greek salad, potatoes or rice, not sure of the sides.

Tonight it is a cheeseburger and a salad at my house.

I have trouble deciding what to eat on the days leading up to a major holiday, it seems like all of the thought goes into the holiday meal! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm making a variation on Whiska's Totchos.

Tesco sounds kinda like our Costco or Sam's Club.

--

I think Totchos have gathered small legs of their own. CarolPa made these for dinner yesterday too. Hope you both enjoy(ed) them. Like any nachos, you can make any variation you prefer. What I like about them is I can't eat tortilla chips and these are chewy and just a bit crisp on the outside.

As far as Kippers and Wild Turkey. I know where to find one of the two. The only kippers I have ever seen are in a small can, like sardines and are imported from Canada. I sure would like to discover some like Harry's pics today.

I am having leftover ham from the "small ham" I made the other day. I would fear it's gathering legs of its own too, good thing I like ham. Scramble eggs.

Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...[/QU...OTE]

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 167
You haven't missed much. Kippers are the work of the devil regardless or where they come from. They are one of the many forms of smoked herrings, which is weird because I love herrings and I love smoked fish but I hate kippers.

Harry's right though. Among the cognoscenti Loch Fyne kippers are considered the best.

Back
Top Bottom