Upon Which Hand Do I Wear A Promise Ring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
Carl gave me a beautiful Black Hills gold promise ring with a heart shaped garnet in the middle of it. I Googled this, and found this:

Which finger do you wear a promise ring on? - Yahoo Answers

He said someday if I would have him, he'd want to marry me, but that is a very long time away. We have promised our families abstinence also. He says he loves me and I do know I love him. We have too much right now for to focus upon ourselves. He's so very worried about his Mamma, I have DA, we must attend to our educations so that in time we will have good jobs and perhaps create a future for ourselves with or without each other.

Mamma and Papa say to wear this upon my left hand. But I thought that was for engagement and wedding rings, yes? So Mamma said to forget Google and ask of our friends here. Here it is:

img_1331621_0_dada861cd2521946d87f1770fabc7232.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Right now it is on my right hand. Carl is a little confused, also.

With love,
~Cat

It's a different tradition I guess, depending where you are from. Mrs D and I were married in Germany and the tradition there is engagement rings and wedding bands are worn on the right hand. I don't recall anything about promise rings but I guess that would be the same. To this day we wear our wedding bands on our right hand.

Such a nice ring Cat !!

I agree .. wear it on the left hand.

Congratulations to you and Carl.

It's a different tradition I guess, depending where you are from. Mrs D and I were married in Germany and the tradition there is engagement rings and wedding bands are worn on the right hand. I don't recall anything about promise rings but I guess that would be the same. To this day we wear our wedding bands on our right hand.

Yes, this is correct for Germany and many other European countries. I've been thinking of this. Mamma wears her engagement ring and her wedding band on her left hand, as she grew up here in the USA, but Papa wears his wedding ring on his right hand. It doesn't matter, I think, for them. They love each other so very much!

Mamma and Papa are such of a wonderful "union" ... they seem to read each other's minds sometimes. I want this! I think I have this with Carl when we are out in the public and we see something odd when we can't speak of it, I look at him and he looks at me and we know! It is very odd. It happens with my soul sister, Lakisha, also.

There is so very much more of the heart besides a ring, and it includes the wonderful person who gave it to me.

Last edited:
Lovely ring Cat! Carl, you have very good taste in both jewelry and girlfriend. Congratulations to you two lovebirds.

BTW Cat, my dear Himself had just started his first job five months before he asked me to marry him. My engagement ring is a Garnett, January's stone, because our first date was in January.

If I remember correctly, Danes wear a gold band as an engagement ring on the right hand a switch it to the left when they get married.

Keep it on your left hand. It is a promise to marry you when the time is right for the both of you. Your engagement ring will be a commitment ring. By wearing it on your left hand, it tells other boys who would like to date you that you are already spoken for.

It is a lovely ring. My first engagement ring was a diamond in the center with aquamarine stones on the side. That is my birthstone. And I love that stone. So I know he put a lot of thought into the ring. I am sure Carl gave a lot of thought also to your ring. Wear it proudly. He loves you. And that is what matters. :angel:

Keep it on your left hand. It is a promise to marry you when the time is right for the both of you. Your engagement ring will be a commitment ring. By wearing it on your left hand, it tells other boys who would like to date you that you are already spoken for.

It is a lovely ring. My first engagement ring was a diamond in the center with aquamarine stones on the side. That is my birthstone. And I love that stone. So I know he put a lot of thought into the ring. I am sure Carl gave a lot of thought also to your ring. Wear it proudly. He loves you. And that is what matters. :angel:

Thank you, Addie. I didn't think of it as to be telling others I am spoken for. I like that! It will save me from useless conversations. Aquamarines are beautiful, and I love those. I love all stones, though.

I'm wearing this so very proudly! I can't wait to get back to school and show it to everyone!

With love,
~Cat

Thank you, Addie. I didn't think of it as to be telling others I am spoken for. I like that! It will save me from useless conversations. Aquamarines are beautiful, and I love those. I love all stones, though.

I'm wearing this so very proudly! I can't wait to get back to school and show it to everyone!

With love,
~Cat

I sure as heck did! That's why it's a heart-shaped garnet, Cat.

Thanks, Addie, and y'all. She's real happy with it. I really did put a whole lot of thought into this, and Mom helped me out, too.

Carl

I sure as heck did! That's why it's a heart-shaped garnet, Cat.

Thanks, Addie, and y'all. She's real happy with it. I really did put a whole lot of thought into this, and Mom helped me out, too.

Carl

Durrr, Cat! I told you!

I'm really glad Cat wants to adopt kids. I get real nervous when I think of Cat and Carl having their own kids. These'll be either saints or inmates, and I'm thinking inmates.

Lakisha

Ha! Inmates right along with yours too!

Yes, you told me this, but I wasn't sure. It never hurts to ask of these things!

With love,
~Cat

We are too! The ring is on the proper hand and so this problem is fixed.

Thank you all.

With love,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom