ISO info on cooking wild boar for New Year's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Can anyone advise me please. I have a Haunch joint (850grms) of Wild boar to roast but I am not sure if I should marinate it prior to roasting.Some recipes say 'yes' others are not so clear. If I do, then for how long and with what ingredients? I am used to cooking Venison and have had Wild boar done various ways but not like this. I shall use it when we have friends over and guess it will do 6 of us nicely.

In the meantime............HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE XX ;)

do you know how old the boar was?
If it's less than a year there is no need for marinating, if it's older it might be better ;o)
If you're not sure, it might also be better ;o)

classical boar herbs are (crushed) juniper, bayleaf, rosemary, thyme. rub the haunch and marinate over night, you may add dry red wine.

Thank you Cara,
As I'm not sure I will do as you say. I know where I am now. By the way, your signature words are SO me I love them and think they say it all!
Blessings for New year

I have a recipe for wild boar in ginger-honey crust, but it's a lot to translate... ;o)

Thank you and a happy New Year to you, too!

I find it can taste more like beef than pork. The marinade is up to you. You could do something just to be on the safe side. It certainly won't hurt it. I find boar goes well with a sweeter type sauce....

Back
Top Bottom