Duck Fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have had a jar of duck fat in the refrigerator for a few months? Do you think it is still okay to use? How can I tell if it's not?

Should be ok. You can tell by the smell. Normally it shouldn't smell much, so if you get a strong smell coming from it, I would chuck it. The better you strain it the longer it should last. For future reference, you can keep it in the freezer and take it out a few hours before you plan on using it. It will keep much longer this way.

It should be fine. I've kept duck fat in the fridge for as long as 4 months, with no discernible change in flavor or quality. And like Rock points out, you can also freeze it.

i've never had duck fat go bad in my fridge. beyond 4 nor 5 months, i wouldn't know, as it usually doesn't last longer than that. besides using it to fry potatoes and other veggies, i like to spread duck fat on rye bread for a tasty snack. i'm not a proponent of straining duck fat, though. i save as much of the brown ducky bits of fond as i can. the fond settles to the bottom of the fat container. invariably, i find myself digging down into the duck fat tub with my knife to get to those delicious, salty little duck bits every time....

Back
Top Bottom