Desperately Seeking....mild banana peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deuces

Assistant Cook
Anyone know where to buy them in the Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont, etc.)? Fresh or pickled.

Any store has them. In jars and in the fresh vegetable dept.

Well now, I been to three Safeways, one Lucky, Whole Foods, Berkeley Bowl, and Piedmont Grocery. No luck anywhere. I think you are confusing banana peppers with peperoncini, as far as the jars go.

Peperoncini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Banana pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is banana peppers the same as pepperonchini - Ask Community

...and for the fresh, I think you are confusing them with yellow wax peppers:

Hungarian wax pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...which are available at most produce counters. I have yet to find banana peppers (fresh or pickled) anywhere, and most who work at produce do not even seem to know what they are when I've asked.

Have you tried any Mexican grocery stores? I know there are many in your area. As to how mild----- I don't know.

Well now, I been to three Safeways, one Lucky, Whole Foods, Berkeley Bowl, and Piedmont Grocery. No luck anywhere. I think you are confusing banana peppers with peperoncini, as far as the jars go.

...which are available at most produce counters. I have yet to find banana peppers (fresh or pickled) anywhere, and most who work at produce do not even seem to know what they are when I've asked.

Nope. I know what pepperocini is. And I know what banana peppers are.
Both are readily available in my area.

Fresh banana peppers are usually available in every grocery store I shop at. Right next to the red and green bell peppers. In the produce section.

Pickled banana peppers are available in every store I have walked into. Mount Olive and Vlasic are the two that come to mind.
You can also get banana pepper rings. Hot or mild.
Right next to the pickles.

It looks like you are in Cali? Seems you would have a much better ability than I have to get the peppers you want.

Have you tried any of the many Mexican groceries in your area?

I visited two(2) grocery stores this past couple days and thought about this thread.
I found fresh banana peppers at both stores. Produce section.
I found pickled jar banana peppers in one store. It was a Mexican brand. (ethnic food section)
In the other, I could only find banana pepper rings. Both hot or mild.

So they are widely available in my area. Widely available.

Not really...

Have you tried any Mexican grocery stores? I know there are many in your area. As to how mild----- I don't know.

went into one the other day on a lark. Clerk didn't recognize the banana peppers photo I showed him. Did discover the poblono peppers are much cheaper there.

Nope. I know what pepperocini is. And I know what banana peppers are.
Both are readily available in my area.

Fresh banana peppers are usually available in every grocery store I shop at. Right next to the red and green bell peppers. In the produce section.

Pickled banana peppers are available in every store I have walked into. Mount Olive and Vlasic are the two that come to mind.
You can also get banana pepper rings. Hot or mild.
Right next to the pickles.

It looks like you are in Cali? Seems you would have a much better ability than I have to get the peppers you want.

You are mistaken. When I lived in Ohio and Kentucky, banana peppers (fresh or pickled in jars) were readily available. As were White Castle hamburgers, those little round orange-colored waffle cheese crackers, and various other regional items I've had to do without once I moved here. Only Vlasic pickles are available...banana peppers are MIA, and have been for the last twenty years. I've never seen the Mount Olive brand here. Never assume that because an item is available there its is the same here.

We have Clover brand milk that is the best I have ever tasted. Probably you won't find it at your supermarkets. Some items seem to be strictly regional. Banana peppers may be available here, but if so, its a well kept secret!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom