German Potato and Sausage Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
German Potato and Sausage Soup

5 pounds potatoes peeled and diced to 1/2″ pieces
6 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large white onion, peeled and diced
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
3 pounds Polish kielbasa, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1/8 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper

Put potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a large pot then add water to cover about 1 inch. Add half the salt, then cover with lid and set on medium flame.

Add water to cover bottom of frying pan and brown sausage, on cut sides. When cooked through, remove sausage to cutting board and dice into 1/2″ pieces; add to soup.

Add parsley, black pepper, red pepper, remaining salt and garlic. Cover and continue cooking on low heat for 2 hours; serve immediately with crusty bread and butter.

Sounds good. I might try it with some good pork sausages, 'cause that's what I have in the house.

Looks like the BB editor substituted something for what you meant. What's "1/2&Prime"? It shows up twice. A mod could fix that for you.

I'm not sure I understand the browning the sausage part. You brown it in water? Or am I being a dolt and reading that wrong?

Yeah, 1/2&Prime? :huh:
Looks like a copy and paste from something that didn't agree with this site.

But 5 lbs of potatoes?! :ohmy:
Man, that's a lot of spuds. It should say to serve with six loaves of crusty bread :LOL:

That's supposed to be 1/2 inch dice. I typically cut the recipe in half. This would probably serve 8 or so.

You start the sausage in a small amount of water, to steam it and render some of the fat, and as the water evaporates, the sausage browns. You could probably skip this step if you used fresh sausage.

That's supposed to be 1/2 inch dice. I typically cut the recipe in half. This would probably serve 8 or so.

You start the sausage in a small amount of water, to steam it and render some of the fat, and as the water evaporates, the sausage browns. You could probably skip this step if you used fresh sausage.
Thanks. Okay, now I understand about the browning in water. :LOL:

The kielbasa that we can get at the supermarket is already cooked. Do you think it would be better to use some other sausage that isn't pre-cooked and ready to eat?

The kielbasa that we can get at the supermarket is already cooked. Do you think it would be better to use some other sausage that isn't pre-cooked and ready to eat?
I don't know whether it would be better or not. I've always used kielbasa because I had this soup for the first time when I was visiting our exchange students in Germany and this is how the restaurant made it. I don't think you can really overcook kielbasa. If you try fresh sausage, though, let us know what you think.

It just occurred to me - sausages usually have a lot of connective tissue, so while they're rather tender because they're ground so finely, long cooking tenderizes them even more, as well as adding gelatin to the broth. So it would be different with fresh sausage. Whether that's better or not, I don't know.

Last edited:
The andouille was use in gumbo is already cooked (smoked) and it gets cooked for close to an hour in total.

I don't know whether it would be better or not. I've always used kielbasa because I had this soup for the first time when I was visiting our exchange students in Germany and this is how the restaurant made it. I don't think you can really overcook kielbasa. If you try fresh sausage, though, let us know what you think.

So, is the kielbasa that you use already cooked?

Be carefil. You can overcook sausage sucj as kielbasa. I've done it
Just like any other protien, if cookrd long enough, even in sommerin liquid, it can dry out and develop a texturr reminicenf of sawdust.

Cook for no more than an hor or so. The sausage will still help season the broth.

Oj, and the recipe is both familiar, and looks good.

If you were to add cabbage to your recipe, you 'd have something like New England boiled dinner.l

Seeeeya; Chie Longwind of the North

Be carefil. You can overcook sausage sucj as kielbasa. I've done it
Just like any other protien, if cookrd long enough, even in sommerin liquid, it can dry out and develop a texturr reminicenf of sawdust.

Cook for no more than an hor or so. The sausage will still help season the broth.
Thanks, Chief. I've been making this dish as written for about 10 years and the kielbasa is never dry.

Bump! �� I was asked for the link to my kielbasa soup recipe, so here it is. As noted above, I usually make half of this recipe. It's delicious on a cool or cold evening.

Bump! �� I was asked for the link to my kielbasa soup recipe, so here it is. As noted above, I usually make half of this recipe. It's delicious on a cool or cold evening.

Thank you GG!

Back
Top Bottom