Burns' Night Supper - Are you/how will you enjoy it? 1/25/2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Just wondering if anyone over the pond there will be celebrating this Scottish traditional feast tonight?
There will be 8 of us ( small but select) and we will be having;
Cullen Skink with Soda bread
Followed by;
Haggis, Neeps and Tatties..........naturally
followed by;
Raspberry Souffle and lavender Shortbread.
Followed by;
Auld Alliance with Oatcakes. That is Roquefort cheese creamed together with some Malt Whiskey to make a delicious cream cheese.

Obviously, We will enjoy Whiskey, Music and poetry as the evening progresses.
My Son suggested a Burns Night Supper to his Celtic friends and colleagues in Spain where he lives..............last count was 35 'yesses' so THAT should be a good night!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great time, Menumaker! I need a translation though, what are skink, neeps, and tatties? Here, a skink is a type of lizard.

Cullen Skink is a wonderful, creamy fish soup made with smoked Haddock, onions, chopped parsley and potato puree. Skink' is gaelic for 'essence' so basically, essence of the sea.
Neeps are mashed Swede turNIPS, the yellow, buttery kind seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little cream and tatties are mashed poTATOES. I haven't gone mad on the keyboard, just trying to point out how the words became known to the local population

Perfect explanation! And I'm glad you're not cooking lizards!

No traditional Burns Night Supper though it sounds wonderful. I am really in a cooking sort of mood though (maybe there is some Scottish gene I am unaware of.)

I'm going to make a pork roast, mashed potato's with a mushroom gravy and some German style red cabbage (Rotkohl.) With all that I'm just going to slice up some cucumbers and tomato's for the veg.

I was going through my recipes and I found a long lost Butterkuchen recipe that I'm going to make. It's actually a yeast cake and from what I remember it's to die for. I haven't made it in 15 years or so. I'll post a pic on the what's baking thread if its presentable.

We are have pease porridge with smoked ham, Shrek will be having turnips and I will have some beets. Dessert will be purchased Carrot Cake.

Is this the daily dinner thread or a holiday meal thread? Or just a member saying what they are fixing for a special meal themselves?
It's not in the right (loose) format for a dinner thread.
And so few people have replied I'm guessing they are wondering, too...

:huh:

Is this the daily dinner thread or a holiday meal thread? Or just a member saying what they are fixing for a special meal themselves?
It's not in the right (loose) format for a dinner thread.
And so few people have replied I'm guessing they are wondering, too...

:huh:
We are celebrating with some butter chicken, dahl, aloo, and naan...a night off from playing so I am heading out to a couple of bars to hear friends play. I'll make sure to have a couple of Scotch Whiskey's....

Last edited:
It's in Today's Menu, so I guess it's today's menu!

We may celebrate with CraigC's coconut shrimp recipe. I'm all out of haggis, but we have Scotch!

Last edited:
I take it that is special meal is in celebration of RRRRobbie Burns. As good as any reason for a meal shared with friends. :angel:

We had a Braided Stuffed Pizza Bread tonight. I combined a couple of recipies. One from Hormel for the technique
Hormel Foods Recipes > How-To Video: Braided Stuffed Pizza Bread

And one from General Mills Canada for the ingredients and timings.
http://www.lifemadedelicious.ca/rec...a-bread/a305763c-5aa7-4148-9664-923af6539326/

This is how it turned out.

img_1339499_0_eceeeb586046f8ad8035bbb8d9d550b2.jpg

img_1339499_1_f33ab088563db18aaf24696812ab54c3.jpg

Rocket, that looks mighty tasty! I used to make calzones with pizza sauce, mushrooms, italian sausage and a mozza cheddar mix. They turned out pretty good.

We had roasted chicken with Greek salad and lemon herb rice pilaf.

I am trying to get some things done ahead for the week of my surgery. It is only day surgery, but I won't be doing much for that week apparently. TB is off, but he likes things simple. I put the chicken carcass on for stock and will turn it into a couple of soups for the freezer - cauliflower and chicken noodle.

I also portioned some of the leftover meat into sandwich packs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom