Can I brine a frozen turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dusco

Assistant Cook
I got a 11lb frozen turkey.. Can I start to brim it now while it is frozen?

Thanks a million for any info.. I want to have it ready when my wife comes via leave from the Air Force.. I am wanting to have a hell of a meal when she comes home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 11lb frozen turkey.. Can I start to brim it now while it is frozen?

Thanks a million for any info.. I want to have it ready when my wife comes via leave from the Air Force.. I am wanting to have a hell of a meal when she comes home.

I don't know how much time you have.

You'll get better results if it's thawed. To quickly thaw a turkey, put it into a large pot or bucket and run cold water into the bucket. Keep the water running at a trickle several hours as necessary then brine it after it's thawed.

I don't know how much time you have.

You'll get better results if it's thawed. To quickly thaw a turkey, put it into a large pot or bucket and run cold water into the bucket. Keep the water running at a trickle several hours as necessary then brine it after it's thawed.
I have 4 days.. I will try that.. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Make sure your turkey isn't brined/enhanced already. Many frozen ones are. No need to duplicate the process.

Good luck on your killer dinner and thank her for her service for all of us.

Zagut has a good point. I have noticed some frozen ones here indicate they contain water salt etc so that sounds like a kind of brining to me.
Oh and by the way, welcome to DC. I'm retired R.C.A.F. Give that young lady a big hug from me and pass on my thanks for her service.

Welcome to DC, and a big welcome home and thank-you to your wife!

Zagut has a good point. I have noticed some frozen ones here indicate they contain water salt etc so that sounds like a kind of brining to me.
Oh and by the way, welcome to DC. I'm retired R.C.A.F. Give that young lady a big hug from me and pass on my thanks for her service.

+200! Welcome and many thanks!

Four days for an 11# bird should be long enough to defrost in the fridge and brine overnight. I don't know if the giblets would give an off flavor to the bird if left inside during brining.

Four days for an 11# bird should be long enough to defrost in the fridge and brine overnight. I don't know if the giblets would give an off flavor to the bird if left inside during brining.
Even if they don't, the bag they are in might, especially if it's plastic. :LOL:

Last edited:
Read the package before brining. Like the others have said it could already be injected with brine at the factory before freezing and shipping.

I made my first brined turkey last Thanksgiving. I brined it because it was a "fresh" turkey. Not frozen or injected.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom