Chile Pepper Chicken (Formerly New User-Recipe contribution)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdj03

Assistant Cook
Ok, thought I'd break the ice with one of my favorite recipies. This is an original that I came up with myself. I've never come across anything like it anywhere else..

Before you start, please understand that I'm very loose when it comes to cooking. I don't do much in the way of measurements unless I'm trying to duplicate a recipie I find on the internet. Most of the time, I just sorta add stuff and experiment as I go along.

So.. quantities in parenthesis are estimated, not exact..

Chili Pepper Chicken:
(Serves 2)

1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
pat of butter (1/2 tbl)
garlic (1, 2, 5 cloves - however much you like)
chili powder (1-2 tbl.. more = hotter)
ground comino (1tbl)
1/2 package fajita style veggies (these come in the frozen section at my grocery store. the package includes onions and red, orange, & green bell peppers already cut to size..)
1 can diced tomatoes (8-12oz)
1 can Rotel (8 oz)

Directions:
Throw the chicken, butter, and garlic into a skillet. As the chicken is cooking, dump in the chili powder and comino. When the chicken is close to being done, add the veggies..
When the veggies have softened up, drain the tomatos and Rotel and add them in.. Lower the heat and stir/simmer for about 30 minutes or so. The idea is to get rid of the watery fluid and be left with a nice saucey consistency.. Add a nice bit of lemon and/or lime juice immediately before serving..

Sample the taste at several points along the way to determine where you're at as far as heat (spice) goes. If you want it milder, substitute a can of regular tomatos for the Rotel..

You can serve it on a plate as-is or put it on tortillas and eat it like a taco/burrito. That's my preference..

If you're cooking for a bunch of people, you can add in some spainish rice to make this sized portion go a bit farther. We've also added in corn, cheese and bacon bits - all of them tasted pretty good in it..

We've also done the same recipie with shrimp. I preferred that, but my wife likes it with chicken..

Enjoy!!

Welcome to the site and thanks for jumping right in with a recipe. We love to see that!

This sounds delicious. I just have one question. I am not familiar with comino. What is that?

GB said:
Welcome to the site and thanks for jumping right in with a recipe. We love to see that!

This sounds delicious. I just have one question. I am not familiar with comino. What is that?
Ground Comino... Same as ground Cumin..

I should have mentioned that this is a very mexican flavored dish.. that's why I put it in this section..

similar to puerto rican recipes like this. They will cook the chicken with a hot sausage to give it a smokey pork flavor. Often uses bay leaf in the recipe too. I like to add chipotle (smoked jalapeno) to it...

Back
Top Bottom