Meringue Not a meringue dessert bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
I am looking for a dessert bar that when baked, a thin type of meringue forms across the top. Crisp thin layer. It may be the egg whites and yolks are folded into the batter separate or the egg -sugar mix floats to the top while baking. It is not a true meringue in the sense it is not piled high or put on separately like a lemon pie.

This is probably not that rare or difficult. I just can't think of a recipe that is like this. Thanks.

Do you mean like the crust on top of brownies? I baked a flourless chocolate torte yesterday that formed a crust a little thicker than on brownies, I suspect it was the 6 egg whites beaten to meringue that were folded in to the batter that caused this. Are you looking for a specific recipe? ?

Yes, it is like that thin crust/ layer that forms on tops of brownies. I wasn't necessarily thinking chocolate because I have had some other dessert bars where this was achieved.

I'm trying to think of an unusual dessert to serve as a Valentine's surprise next week.

If your flourless chocolate torte does this, I would be pleased if you would share your recipe. Chocolate is Always a hit.

We sell a chess square at work that comes in frozen. It's a shortbread type crust with a soft layer of something on top, but the topping forms this brownie-like top that is a little crunchy. They are similar to a gooey butter cake, but not exactly the same. It could be that I've never had a gooey butter cake made without a cake mix.

Every recipe that I find when I google "chess squares" comes up with a cake mix version, like this one.
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/chess-squares.html

Yes, it is like that thin crust/ layer that forms on tops of brownies. I wasn't necessarily thinking chocolate because I have had some other dessert bars where this was achieved.

I'm trying to think of an unusual dessert to serve as a Valentine's surprise next week.

If your flourless chocolate torte does this, I would be pleased if you would share your recipe. Chocolate is Always a hit.

This is not what you are after, but it has that Valentine's day feel.

Raspberry-Almond Squares Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Good luck!

Aunt Bea, the raspberry squares make me a smile and indeed feel like Valentine's and what's better, is I have home made raspberry preserves in the cold pantry.

Bake Chef, yes this is what I am thinking of. I made lemon bars the other day, and the pan created this effect a little bit around the edges. I'm still trying to mentally picture what I have had at some time and / or where / and / or who made them. Twasn't me.

Here's a different pic that more clearly shows what I'm thinking of. Same chess squares recipe, looks almost over baked compared to your example.

Thank you both for your ideas.

Attachments

• chess square.jpg
    chess square.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 455
SomeBunny Don't sweat it if it won't copy properly today. Well of course I am still interested. I think I have only ever seen flourless chocolate cakes listed on dessert menus, never tasted.

The more sugar the more that the top will develop like that. I know what you are looking for and I enjoy that too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom