Pickling Process/Your go to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dc2123

Cook
Ok so i've been curious in experimenting with pickling different types of foods.

I have never done it before so I am curious to hear the steps of pickling and what your favorite things to pickle are.

Thanks!

We make a quick style pickle about every other week. They are 1/2 sours and use water, garlic, fresh dill fronds, pickling salt and garlic cloves as a base. We often add red pepper flakes. Since these are done in about 72 hours, the crock/jars are only cleaned with hot water and dish detergent. It does not require the ultra cleanliness needed for canning. If I am making sauerbraten, I use vinegar, water and pickling spices for the beef. It will set in the pickling liquid for up to 7 days, depending on how "sour" you want the beef.;)

We make a quick style pickle about every other week. They are 1/2 sours and use water, garlic, fresh dill fronds, pickling salt and garlic cloves as a base. We often add red pepper flakes. Since these are done in about 72 hours, the crock/jars are only cleaned with hot water and dish detergent. It does not require the ultra cleanliness needed for canning. If I am making sauerbraten, I use vinegar, water and pickling spices for the beef. It will set in the pickling liquid for up to 7 days, depending on how "sour" you want the beef.;)
Is that for cucumber pickles? Is it a fermentation process?

No, it is a Jewish style pickle. It uses whole kirbys. There were several Jewish delis that always had these setting on the tables, booths and counter. I fell in love with a particular deli's 1/2 sours and potato latkes. The place was called Corky's.

I love pickled green beans, pickled beets, and freezer pickles.

The beans are great with a few garlic cloves and pepper flakes. The beets need a couple of allspice berries. The freezer pickles vary, depending on my mood, but I always slice the cukes and onions very thin on the mandolin or in the food processor, cover with Kosher salt and let sit overnight, then drain and rinse very thoroughly.

Ball Blue Book has some good recipes.

No, it is a Jewish style pickle. It uses whole kirbys. There were several Jewish delis that always had these setting on the tables, booths and counter. I fell in love with a particular deli's 1/2 sours and potato latkes. The place was called Corky's.
Have you posted the recipe?

Not my recipe. It came from a local newspaper that is long gone and I can't find Corky's recipe online.:( Not gonna chance a copy right infringement.

You can avoid copyright problems by writing the instructions in your own words. The list of ingredients can't be copyrighted.

I've been playing around with lacto-fermented pickles. I make great sauerkraut, but the dilly beans and cukes...not so much. I think I may have let them go too long.

For canning pickles, you can pickle any vegie safely as long as you use a pickling solution that's at least half 5% vinegar. I can't make a decent cuke pickle, but I keep trying. We like pickled beets, dilly beans, carrots, peppers, relishes and chutneys, and we eat a lot of pickled garlic... two parts vinegar to one part water (50-50 isn't zingy enough), a sliced jalapeno and a few peppercorns, processed for 10 min. in a boiling water bath. Easy.

I like the Ball Blue Book also. They've put out a big book, 'The Complete Book of Home Preserving', which has a lot of their old recipes, updated. Another good site, especially for beginners.... I like it because if you live above 1000 ft. you should adjust for altitude and they list those adjustments with each recipe: NCHFP

We make a quick style pickle about every other week. They are 1/2 sours and use water, garlic, fresh dill fronds, pickling salt and garlic cloves as a base. We often add red pepper flakes...

I do the same thing. But since I do not like half-sour pickles as they are called, after 3 days I put them in the fridge and open them in a 3-4 weeks when they are fully sour.

I pickle bologna. Most people seem never to have heard of it - I guess it's just a Michigan thing.

Yes it is lacto-fermentation. Craig had it wrong. That's why it has to sit out of the fridge for 2-4 days. I think the web page is on my tablet and I'll check it later to try to get the link. Tried to look for it real quick on my laptop but didn't find it and I need to work for a while after being without internet for several days so I'm behind.

Karen

Yes it is lacto-fermentation. Craig had it wrong. That's why it has to sit out of the fridge for 2-4 days. I think the web page is on my tablet and I'll check it later to try to get the link. Tried to look for it real quick on my laptop but didn't find it and I need to work for a while after being without internet for several days so I'm behind.

Karen
Thanks Karen. No hurry.

Ok so i've been curious in experimenting with pickling different types of foods.

I have never done it before so I am curious to hear the steps of pickling and what your favorite things to pickle are.

Thanks!

When I was in high school in Connecticut, I took a job in a Jewish delicatessen. They made at least four different kinds of pickles. The process was a type of fermentation. They used big wooden barrels, with brine, spices, herbs, etc. The length of time varied with the type of pickle desired. I can't remember the exact time it took, but I do know that the shortest was at least a month and the longest was about 4 months. I really enjoyed the half sours and the pickled green tomatoes. This process is not really practical in the home, but I thought some folks here might like to know about it. When put in jars and sent to a grocer, they must be kept in a refrigerator, not on the shelf, those are not really pickles done the natural way. If you ever noticed, the grocery store has two different places for pickles for this reason.

?...This process is not really practical in the home...

It is very much so practical at home. I do it every year. The only thing, instead of wooden barrel I use 5 gallon pails, for the fermentation process. Then I put in jars and keep it in the fridge the whole winter and spring. A lot of times they less me we'll into summer. As the matter of fact if I knew where to buy good barrels I would probably buy and use them too. Basement is perfect for that.

Back
Top Bottom