Have a look at what could become your next steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Bison meat goes mainstream as US beef cattle prices rise

The Department of Agriculture is preparing to do its first survey of the nation's commercial bison herd, assessing its size, health and production issues, and marking a validation of sorts for the small but growing industry.

The number of bison processed for consumption in the U.S. annually equals just half of one day's beef production. But as beef prices rise, bison—which is even more expensive—looks less prohibitive. It's even being sold in Costco.

I would love more bison products in my local grocery store.

I had bison steak and bison burgers a really long time ago. I'm thinking it was around 1974. As I recall they were very lean which made them "richer" in flavor but not all that much different otherwise. At that time they were very expensive.

Costco sells it?
I would like to try it, but have no idea as to where I might find some.
I know I have seen it before, so it is available.

How does bison compare to beef?

We picked some up from the gift shop of a bison ranch in Pennsylvania a few years ago - a couple of steaks and a pound of ground bison. It's leaner than most beef and has a bit stronger flavor, but not gamey like venison. We liked it. I've seen it at a specialty butcher in Virginia Beach but it was really expensive.

Back
Top Bottom