Tide Detergent now downsizing!!?!!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Instead of raising prices they usually reduce the size hopping you don't catch it. Like a gallon of orange juice is now 59 oz instead of 64; 4 lb bags of sugar.

This is the first I've seen this for the reasoning.

Now it is like a watered down product now... No way can you lose that many loads with that little of change in the size of the bottle.

I can't really relate to this since I've been making our own laundry detergent for many years. What we use is about $5.00 USD for about 10 gallons of liquid detergent. Cleans as well as Tide. And let me say that I used to be a Tide user that would NEVER use anything else.

I agree about making my own. I used to make a very cheap DYI version and it was okay. I have added a couple of things that make it a bit more expensive but still MUCH cheaper than anything you can buy and I actually like it more than Tide. Will never buy traditional laundry detergent again.

I buy a bottle 32 load size for a couple of bucks at ALDI, I've never seen an improvement in cleaning when I bought name brands. I don't have kids getting super dirty so maybe that makes a difference.

We can't use Tide at our house because everyone breaks out in a rash if I use Tide.
But Tide is not the only thing with shrinking packages. A "1/2 gallon" of name brand ice cream is now 1-3/4 or 1-1/2 quarts.

Years ago the Tide box was huge. You used a measuring cup and used a full cup of soap powder. Then they said they reformulated it so you didn't need as much and you got a much smaller box and a little measuring cup inside. I kept the first little measuring cup rather than throwing it out when I bought a new box, and I noticed over time that those little cups kept getting bigger and bigger, making you use a little more each time.

Now that we are retired, our clothes don't actually get "dirty", they just need freshened up and we use less that the little cup says we need.

Another thing I noticed about packages. When I buy holiday candy, such as Hershey's Kisses, the bags with the holiday colored wrappers is fewer ounces than the traditional silver wrappers. I just buy the silver wrappers. The candy inside is the same!!

We can't use Tide at our house because everyone breaks out in a rash if I use Tide.
But Tide is not the only thing with shrinking packages. A "1/2 gallon" of name brand ice cream is now 1-3/4 or 1-1/2 quarts.

That's one of the reasons I like our homemade detergent. I have turned several friends/family members on to the soap because they have detergent/soap allergies. They've been allergy-free since they've started using the homemade stuff.

I have also discovered that it's great for cleaning carpets and upholstery. It doesn't suds up like a lot of cleaners, which means there's less likelihood of any residue left to attract dirt.

I can't really relate to this since I've been making our own laundry detergent for many years. What we use is about $5.00 USD for about 10 gallons of liquid detergent. Cleans as well as Tide. And let me say that I used to be a Tide user that would NEVER use anything else.

Katie, I am interested in making my own laundry soap. I googled several sites that have various "recipes" but I would like to know your tried and true method, if you don't mind. My husband INSISTS on Tide because that's what his mother used. But I don't think he would mind saving money or reducing the additives in the soap that cleans our clothes.

Katie, I am interested in making my own laundry soap. I googled several sites that have various "recipes" but I would like to know your tried and true method, if you don't mind. My husband INSISTS on Tide because that's what his mother used. But I don't think he would mind saving money or reducing the additives in the soap that cleans our clothes.

Carol, look at my post, #78, in the thread entitled Homemade Laundry Soap. This is where I explain what I do to make the detergent. I've been making this for at least 15 years and, now that I think of it, I can't imagine how much I've saved doing it.

If anything isn't clear or if you have any questions, just ask.

Katie, I copied the original recipe and also your version. Do I understand it correctly that your make 5 gallons of it, pour 1/2 gallon into each gallon bottle, then add 1/2 gallon of water when you're ready to use it?

All I have to do now is find a 5 gallon bucket and save 10 milk bottles. Or as you said, I could half the "recipe" and only need 5 bottles.

Katie, I copied the original recipe and also your version. Do I understand it correctly that your make 5 gallons of it, pour 1/2 gallon into each gallon bottle, then add 1/2 gallon of water when you're ready to use it?

All I have to do now is find a 5 gallon bucket and save 10 milk bottles. Or as you said, I could half the "recipe" and only need 5 bottles.

Yes, what I begin with is 5 gallons of the concentrate that I then add another 5 gallons of water to, to make the correct concentration of detergent.

Since I've saved all 10 of the Gatorade bottles I need, now I just fill them halfway with the concentrate and add water as I need each bottle.

Another thing I did to save time is to mark, again in black Sharpie, the 8-cup mark on the Gatorade bottles. No more measuring. Just pour until the mark is reached then, when needed, fill to near the top with water.

When I was doing the liquid DYI laundry soap I just left it in the 5 gallon bucket. When I needed soap, I filled a old laundry detergent container half way with my homemade soap and then added water to fill the rest of the bottle then shake it. Only takes a minute. I don't have room to store a 5 gallon bucket and 10 extra bottles with soap. Saves space. I used the liquid DYI laundry soap for a couple of years and then switched to making the dry soap last year. Personally we like the dry DYI laundry soap better, less messy, quicker to make, and takes up less space.

Yes, what I begin with is 5 gallons of the concentrate that I then add another 5 gallons of water to, to make the correct concentration of detergent.

Since I've saved all 10 of the Gatorade bottles I need, now I just fill them halfway with the concentrate and add water as I need each bottle.

Another thing I did to save time is to mark, again in black Sharpie, the 8-cup mark on the Gatorade bottles. No more measuring. Just pour until the mark is reached then, when needed, fill to near the top with water.

You really have this down to a science. I looked online yesterday and they have the washing soda at our WalMart. In reading the reviews, most everyone was using it to make home made soap. I told my husband I was going to make it and he laughed and said "It will cost more than buying it." When he sees how cheap it is, he will be surprised. We already have the Borax. I saw another recipe online where you use Original Blue Dawn instead of the bar soap. I might try that one first because there were directions to make 1 gallon. We use Dawn to wash the dog! LOL It's so hard to believe this is so easy and cheap.

I went to Walmart to get my washing soda. They had all the ingredients together...the washing soda, the Borax and the Fels Naptha. I was going to try making 1 gallon the first time, using original Dawn liquid from another recipe I found online instead of Fels Naptha , but when my husband heard about the recipe he wanted me to buy the Fels Naptha because he remembers his mother chipping off pieces of it into the washing machine. He thought the home made soap idea was stupid until it started to sound like something his mother did. :yum: We wash our dog in original Dawn and he never gets any fleas and we never use flea treatment.

So I am going to make a gallon of this first and see how it works. Then after I get more gallon jugs saved up I will make the one with the Fels Naptha. Even then, I will cut the recipe in half and only make 5 gallons so they won't take up as much room. I hate buying Tide because the price keeps going up.

On another board, they were talking about soaking the clothes, especially whites, in white vinegar for an hour before washing them. I bought a big jug of vinegar and will try that, too. I will start with my husbands socks.:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom