Hot Pot Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket_J_Dawg

Sous Chef
We saw these in the grocery store today. They are labeled Pork Shoulder Hot Pot Rolls. Could anyone explain their uses or how they are prepared? :huh:

img_1353017_0_a57d997b3e8c25b65730ebeaf11c5425.jpg

There is an Asian dish called a hot pot. It involves vegetables and thinly sliced meats arranged in a dish then boiling hot flavored broth is poured over them. The hot liquid cooks the meat and heats everything to eating temperature.

Whoa, $12.98/kg for pork shoulder! I notice the other packages near this one seem to be Asian.

That price is probably because it's pre-sliced very thin. You could do the same thing at home by partly freezing the meat and slicing it thinly; a mandolin might be helpful, although I haven't tried slicing meat on one. Hmm, need to try that.

That price is probably because it's pre-sliced very thin. You could do the same thing at home by partly freezing the meat and slicing it thinly; a mandolin might be helpful, although I haven't tried slicing meat on one. Hmm, need to try that.

Let us know if that works. I'm curious now that you suggested it.

I've used a slicer thingy like a mandolin for making sandwich slices of turkey ham. It works pretty good. It's best to keep alternating the direction of the meat so you don't end up with uneven tails.

There is an Asian dish called a hot pot. It involves vegetables and thinly sliced meats arranged in a dish then boiling hot flavored broth is poured over them. The hot liquid cooks the meat and heats everything to eating temperature.

These could also be used in Vietnamese pork pho, which is similar to hot pot: Vietnamese pork pho

Thanks guys. I had never heard of Hot Pot before. Mrs D found them and asked me if there was something we could make out of them and I told her I didn't have the foggiest what they were. I thought they may have been stuffed with something. I found a YouTube video that explains Hot Pot.

Whoa, $12.98/kg for pork shoulder! I notice the other packages near this one seem to be Asian.

They were in the frozen food section where all the Asian foods are. They were beside the frozen dumplings which made me think they may have been stuffed.

back in the late 60's, that was the fondue era! One of our friends had this and we were all so jealous! What fun and yummy!

why did my picture go sideways!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN4574.jpg
    DSCN4574.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 415
:LOL: good one princess! :LOL:

Must have been that wine!

but for those whose necks are a bit on the stiff side...

that copper pot was traditionally heated with charcoal. Truth to tell I cannot remember how hers was heated. We certainly didn't use charcoal inside the house! the center chimney was heated from the brazier below and the beef stock in the surrounding circular trough was heated. Everything had to be super super thin in order to cook, otherwise it came out 'boiled' tasting.

That picture is in one of my books from the era, oh goodness, think I'm drooling.

For the rest of us, we just used a regular fondue pot with a beef broth.

back in the late 60's, that was the fondue era! One of our friends had this and we were all so jealous! What fun and yummy!

why did my picture go sideways!!!!
Fondue is apparently fashionable again. Fondue sets back on wedding present lists.

Must get out my Le Creuset fondue set. I used to find it useful if entertaining 4 or 5 people who didn't know one another. You can't be shy when fishing for a "lost" lump of meat.

Back
Top Bottom