Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it all show under User CP? That is where I go to see my "thanks" and there are messages typed there.

I guess Janet said no to a "Like" button?

But, I do not get the score keeping aspect of it.
How could this button be abused?

Put simply, if one likes a post or agrees with a post and they want the poster to know and the rest of the forum to know, a quick click on a "like" or a "thanks" button seems logical.

The forum format lends well to simple one click thanks or like.

Last edited:
RB, years ago we did have that system in place, but because point were associated with it there were "issues". For some, it turned into a competition. Others felt slighted that they did not have many points. It actually accomplished the opposite of what was intended.

RB, years ago we did have that system in place, but because point were associated with it there were "issues". For some, it turned into a competition. Others felt slighted that they did not have many points. It actually accomplished the opposite of what was intended.

GB, you still get points for "Thanks" just not as many. One difference is that points are private where karma (the old system) was shown on your posts for a time.

If I am reading that header correctly, that is just the number of times you have been thanked. Not really a point system. I can also see how many PM's I have, but that is not how many points I have based on PM's.

If I am reading that header correctly, that is just the number of times you have been thanked. Not really a point system. I can also see how many PM's I have, but that is not how many points I have based on PM's.

The counter increments one for each "Thanks" as opposed to thousands of karma points for an old style thanks. It's still score keeping but with a different point system.

I see.

The "thanks" button I am using elsewhere has no points attached to it.
When you click the "thanks" button at the bottom of the post, your name appears as the one who thanked it.
There is no record keeping. The only place you can see the "thanks" is at the bottom of the thanked post.
Now a good post may have a quite a few "thanks" at the bottom.

I am on sports forum that does count "likes" or "thanks". You see the thanks in your messages. But still no points are attached.

I am a bit surprised a forum like this could generate any negative from a button like this, when other forums with way less respect do just fine using one.

I see.

The "thanks" button I am using elsewhere has no points attached to it.
When you click the "thanks" button at the bottom of the post, your name appears as the one who thanked it.
There is no record keeping. The only place you can see the "thanks" is at the bottom of the thanked post.
Now a good post may have a quite a few "thanks" at the bottom.

I am on sports forum that does count "likes" or "thanks". You see the thanks in your messages. But still no points are attached.

I am a bit surprised a forum like this could generate any negative from a button like this, when other forums with way less respect do just fine using one.

Well, like Janet said, it's one of those things that makes DC a little different. :LOL:

The counter increments one for each "Thanks" as opposed to thousands of karma points for an old style thanks. It's still score keeping but with a different point system.
I am not sure i would call that a point system. It is a running tally just as your post count is a running tally. I guess it could be argued either way. I don't see that as points though myself though. I just see that as the same post count or PM count or things like that. I can see how some would see it as a point system though.

The current THANKS system is kind of cumbersome.

1. click on the THANKS button
2. click on "Send Your Thanks" with or without comments
3. click on OK when the "Your Thanks Has been sent" message appears.

I'd prefer a THANKS button that you click. Then a note appears on the post saying you have thanked this post. I expect it would only appear to the thanking person.

This would parallel the LIKE system on other forums.

It would save us from having to post "+1!!"

I'm pretty sure that was Timothy's original intent when he joined the forum and said we should change the karma to a thanks/like system instead.

I concur. I would prefer a "Like" button. The one I have seen shows how many likes a particular post has at the bottom of that post. It also shows WHO liked it. No points involved. Less cumbersome than thanks. I think that the PM function works well as a way to send private thanks to an individual, the Like function would be quicker and more public.

Exactly. Thanks or Likes given to posts should be visible to everyone. Why restrict them?
There are times when people want to thank someone else, but do not want it to be public. I can think of a number of reasons this happens. I am not saying I agree or disagree with it, but there are legitimate reasons.

There are times when people want to thank someone else, but do not want it to be public. I can think of a number of reasons this happens. I am not saying I agree or disagree with it, but there are legitimate reasons.
Yes, I can see a few instances where someone might feel that. But in those instances they can easily send a personal thanks to the poster via PM.

I'm sure more than a good majority wouldn't mind their thanks being displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom