Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I have some smoked pork chops in the fridge for supper and would like some scalloped potatoes to go with them. But, I won't be home in time to prepare them. I am home now and can whip them up in the slow cooker but I am not sure how they will turn out. How do they compare with the classic oven method? I realize you can do it, but is the final result similar in any way? Or, do they end up being a mushy, separated mess? My old crock pot doesn't come apart so I can't take the insert out to brown the top near the end of the process. I'd sooner have another type of potato that I can do up in a jiff if the slow cooker spuds are going to leave me cold...anybody?

Last edited:
I've never liked potatoes cooked in the slow cooker, although I haven't tried scalloped potatoes. They always seem to be mushy and flavorless. You could make twice-baked potatoes and put cheese and cream into the mash. Then tonight, you would only have to heat them up.

Peep, slice and cook your potatoes in cream or stock + seasoning in a saucepan on the hob but gently so it doesn't catch on the bottom. Then, turn into an ovenproof dish, cover with lid or foil and leave 'till you get home. Then turn on your grill to high, and brown under that while cooking your chops. You can microwave your potatoes for a minute or two if you like to make sure the potatoes are warm through before grilling. Bon Appetit!

I've never liked potatoes cooked in the slow cooker, although I haven't tried scalloped potatoes. They always seem to be mushy and flavorless. .

This is what I was thinking. I have a craving for them but I may just wait another few days and and do them up right with the traditional oven method. I am eying up latkes with apple sauce....

I like menumaker's idea. Mrs D did them once in the slow cooker and I wouldn't call the end result "great". I mean, they were edible, but she's never done it again.

Since the slow cooker by it very nature, creates its own liquid, and scalloped potatoes by their very own nature, create a thick creamy sauce while cooking, the whole idea is not your best one to date. Scalloped potatoes are not inductive to being created in a slow cooker. If you really have to have them, then run to the store and get a box of Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoes? Did I just really say that? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom