Panic Before The Picnic - Recipe Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elskling

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I'm brand new!

I have no idea what I got myself into...

Okay, I have a picnic I'm going to on 5/17-18, I'm normally really quiet and I keep to myself but I really want to bring something that will help speak for me.

If I froze apple pie filling in an ice cube tray and then put those frozen apple pie cubes in vanilla cake batter and baked them in tiny mason jar cups according to the cake batter instructions, am I asking for disaster or has anyone tried this before?

Also, I want to bring Rolo mini-brownie bites. I have read that some people freeze the Rolos and some do not, can anyone share thier experiences?

Last edited:
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Elskling. I have no idea about those questions. Are you of Scandinavian descent with that user name?

Hi, welcome to DC.

I don't know anything about either of the desserts you are thinking of making. Personally, I don't prefer canned apple or any canned pie filling in anything, not even pies. but that's me.

How about Rolo Pretzels. Easy. It's a picnic, and this is finger food. Small pretzels. one Rolo per each. Bake on a lined cookie pan until gooey. Push a Pecan half on top of each while still warm. Done.

Make Smaller sized Krumkakes ( out of season now, so would be an unexpected treat.) Leave flat rather than roll. Put a spoon full of softened ice cream on one. Top with a 2nd cookie. Squixh flat. Freeze. Ice Cream sandwiches. Don't make krumkake? Make favorite drop cookies like using mini choc chips instead of regular size. More chips per square inch. Make Ice cream sandwiches. Still the best treat and would be the hit of any picnic.

Attachments

• Rolo Pretzels.jpg
    Rolo Pretzels.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
You have plenty of time to make a sample batch"Darling". I have made cheesecake in mason jars. I bake them in a water bath & it works pretty good. Give it a try.----------Joey

Welcome to DC. Elskling is almost the same in Swedish - älskling. I can't offer any thoughts on making things in mason jars, the only thing I put in mason jars are pickles and tomatoes.

DC had a picnic challenge a few years ago. I did things that I could take in the canoe and eat without heat. The Memorial Day/July 4th threads might give you some ideas. I am guessing asparagus is in season in your area, something seasonal would be fun.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new!

Also, I want to bring Rolo mini-brownie bites. I have read that some people freeze the Rolos and some do not, can anyone share thier experiences?

Where's the picnic? I live in the Pittsburgh area and I want some of those Rolo Mini-Brownies!!

Is this a picnic to celebrate 17th May (Norway's National Day)? If so, I'd be tempted to bring a Norwegian dish. I'm guessing you want to bring a dessert, what about Norwegian Apple Pie or Prince's Cake? I went to a Sons of Norway potluck last May for the 17th and brought an Almond Cake. I had several people ask for the recipe. TaxLady--do you remember if it was Scandinavian Almond Cake or Swedish Almond Cake? I know I posted the tweaks I made to it. I also have made it chocolate...

I make the Rolo Pretzel things all the time. They are super easy, everyone loves them. I suggest you forget the brownies and do the pretzel things, which is what my family calls them.
I can't offer any suggestion for the frozen apples cubes since I can't find any logic to the method. How about this: Roll out some pie crust, cut circles that will fit in your jars, dab on some butter,sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar and bake the circles as pie dough. Meanwhile slice up some apples and saute' them with butter and cinnamon, maybe some sugar if the apples are tart... to taste, a bit of salt. Put a circle of crust in the jar, pile in some apples, another crust circle, drizzle on some caramel sauce. Do them on site or at home depending on your circumstances. It works with cherries too. If you're doing it at home, just cut the pie dough into triangles and serve as deconstructed apple pie and squirt on some whipped cream. That too is a favorite around here and the big benefit: no soggy crust. You can even make the crusts several days ahead. They stay crispy like a cookie. But the family might treat them like cookies and gobble them up. That has also happened here.

Hi, welcome to DC.

I don't know anything about either of the desserts you are thinking of making. Personally, I don't prefer canned apple or any canned pie filling in anything, not even pies. but that's me.

How about Rolo Pretzels. Easy. It's a picnic, and this is finger food. Small pretzels. one Rolo per each. Bake on a lined cookie pan until gooey. Push a Pecan half on top of each while still warm. Done.

Make Smaller sized Krumkakes ( out of season now, so would be an unexpected treat.) Leave flat rather than roll. Put a spoon full of softened ice cream on one. Top with a 2nd cookie. Squixh flat. Freeze. Ice Cream sandwiches. Don't make krumkake? Make favorite drop cookies like using mini choc chips instead of regular size. More chips per square inch. Make Ice cream sandwiches. Still the best treat and would be the hit of any picnic.
Cook idea re: the krumkake, but they would get soggy--at least mine would. And it is really hard to scale them down because the krumkake iron "squishes" the batter out....and it would be fussy to get the uniform size and shape. Besides, krumkake are time consuming to make--my recipe makes about 7 dozen and it takes me all afternoon to make them and roll them--I have an iron that only makes one at a time. Rosettes would be less time consuming if one has more than one handle or has a double-rosette iron. Maybe play with flavoring the batter differently...

Is this a picnic to celebrate 17th May (Norway's National Day)? If so, I'd be tempted to bring a Norwegian dish. I'm guessing you want to bring a dessert, what about Norwegian Apple Pie or Prince's Cake? I went to a Sons of Norway potluck last May for the 17th and brought an Almond Cake. I had several people ask for the recipe. TaxLady--do you remember if it was Scandinavian Almond Cake or Swedish Almond Cake? I know I posted the tweaks I made to it. I also have made it chocolate...
The only almond cake I remember was called a Swedish visiting cake. Vitauta posted it, but couldn't make the link work. Is that what you were talking about? I looked at the thread a bit and couldn't find your tweaks, unless you mean putting the almonds on the bottom. Here's the link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/dcs-own-coffee-klatch-83705-51.html#post1244555

The only almond cake I remember was called a Swedish visiting cake. Vitauta posted it, but couldn't make the link work. Is that what you were talking about? I looked at the thread a bit and couldn't find your tweaks, unless you mean putting the almonds on the bottom. Here's the link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/dcs-own-coffee-klatch-83705-51.html#post1244555
I add lemon zest, a bit of lemon juice and ground up almonds to the batter. The recipe I use came with the pan. I also use melted butter.

Amazon.com: Cake Pan Almond 12 In: Kitchen & Dining

I want to be Swedish, Norwegian or just Scandinavian. They have great desserts. Native Americans have corn and buffalo meat. Oh, I almost forgot. We squaws get to chew the buffalo hide to soften it for moccasins. :angel:

Last edited:
I want to be Swedish, Norwegian or just Scandinavian. They have great desserts. Native Americans have corn and buffalo meat. Oh, I almost forgot. We squaws get to chew the buffalo hide to soften it for moccasins. :angel:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL: But Addie, many of the desserts are made one at a time and are an all-day affair...hmmm...the ones I'm thinking of are typically made around Christmas time...when the days are dark...a way of passing time?

Welcome to DC. Back to your actual questions.

I fear your apple pie filling in cake will make a soggy wet cake. However, give it a try if you have time.

I would not freeze the brownie bites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom