Barbeque vs Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL ... guess I wont start a discussion on that disgusting yellow glop they call BBQ sauce in the Carolina's and Florida as compared to what the rest of the world considers as BBQ sauce. :LOL:

Bbq

Just for kicks I just GOOGLED "BBQ":LOL:

Only 5,790,000 hits:!:

Interesting site was redwood.com.
Neat displays but very slow loading with a dial up connection. Probably faster with broadband?

Here is a blurb on a contest someon may be interested in:

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.RedwoodCreek.comhttp://www.RedwoodCreek.com

Beginning May 1st through June 15th 2005, amateur outdoor cooking aficionados can go to RedwoodCreek.com to enter their best campfire recipe. Five finalists will be selected to participate in the Campfire Classic in the New York City, July 2005. The best campfire chef will take home a $10,000 adventure grant plus a $5,000 donation to the national park of their designation.

Enjoy,
Charlie

Michael - don't you put that yellow gloppy stuff off on us!!!!! LOL Isn't the mustart stuff more Kansas City?

We do a vinegar based sauce here.

Marm and Rainee -- thanks for the recipes!!

I have been told that my pulled pork is very good but I am always experimenting.

Also, Rainee, thanks for the link regarding lump charcoal. The thing is ... it is actually not that easy to find up here. And i have never seen any of the brands in the link, except for Cowboy and Whole Foods.

Maybe Andy M or GB have seen any of those other brands around???? If you have, let me know where because I am dying to try them!

Mustard base is SC style.
KC is thicker, sweeter, tomato, possibly hotter style.

jennyema said:
Maybe Andy M or GB have seen any of those other brands around???? If you have, let me know where because I am dying to try them!
I have not, but I will keep my eyes open for you!

I have to admit that I use a gas grill (gasp). I do prefer charcoal, but convenience won out when I went to buy my grill. I still have a charcoal kettle, but I have not touched it once since I started using my gas grill.

LOL GB - I understand the convenience thing - I got a charcoal grill (big sucker) last year and use my gas grill to set my chimneys on while my charcoal gets hot! lol I had to get 4 chimneys because my grill is so big. I've got to get some kind of aluminum pan (haven't found one quite big enough yet) to only heat up a smaller area of the grill. 20 minutes and the coals are good to go - so it's not too bad.

Interesting topic... I always accepted "Barbeque" as one of those oddities of our language that was simply interchange-able... Never thought it had an actual and singular definition (Low and Slow Method)... interesting.

Learn something new every day I guess.

More information on the subject from Wikipedia;
Etymology

The word varies in spelling; variations include barbeque, BBQ, and Bar-B-Q. Smoky Hale, author of The Great American Barbecue and Grilling Manual traces the word back to its Caribbean roots in Taíno (one of the Arawak family of languages). In one form, barabicoa, it indicates a wooden grill, a mesh of sticks; in another, barabicu, it is a sacred fire pit. Traditional barbacoa implies digging a hole in the ground putting some meat (goat is the best, usually the whole animal) on it with a pot underneath (to catch the concentrated juices, it makes a hearty broth), cover all with maguey (cactus) leaves then cover with coal and set it in fire. A few hours later it is ready.

Barbecuing pork shoulders for Lexington, NC political rally, early 1930's. Open pit cooking.
shoulders0gd.jpg

Last edited:
Pit cooking whole pigs near Rocky Mount, NC 1944
wholepig4pe.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know how they came out so dark. Lighten them up and reposted them. Hope you can seee them better now.

Jen:

Alas, I too have fallen prey to the evil "convenience" troll and use a gas grill. I keep thinking I should get a kettle and switch but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

However, I have smoked some ribs and a pork roast on my gas grill with a tray of hickory chips. I got a great smokey flavor but I know it was a compromise.

Maybe the place to try would be a real grill/barbeque shop. One that has ALL the gear.

Go with a weber, you can't beat 'em for the money.
Kettle for grilling
WSM for smoking

This seems to fit right in with this discussion. It is a quote from one of my cookbooks, "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. It is part of the intro to the book.

"The word barbecue means different things to different people, depending on where you live. On the East and West Coasts of the United States and in the Frost Belt and Canada, it describes any sort of live-fire cooking outdoors. In Texas, the South, and parts of the Midwest, it refers to a specific kind of meat that's slow cooked and heavily smoked, usually via the indirect method. Thus, to a North Carolinian, barbecue means pulled pork; to a Texan, beef brisket. Elsewhere, barbecue may refer to a piece of cooking equipment (the barbecue grill), a social gathering (for example, a church barbecue), or simply a meal outdoors."

Until I started getting into the subject, grilling and barbecue were interchangeable terms. For most of people I've known where I've lived (Minnesota, Montana, and Colorado), they still are. In these regions, only the purist makes a distinction. You can do barbecue fast (grilling), or slow (barbecue or smoking), but it's still covered under one generic term.

Sort of like my grandmother always called all cameras "Kodaks", regardless of the actual manufacturer. It's one of those terms that has taken on a colloquial meaning that varies greatly from region to region.

RPCookin said:
...Sort of like my grandmother always called all cameras "Kodaks", regardless of the actual manufacturer. It's one of those terms that has taken on a colloquial meaning that varies greatly from region to region.

Please pass the kleenix, the xerox machine is broken! I guess I'll go make some jell-o and munch on some life savers until it's fixed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom