Wild asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Went out this morning and pi
39817-albums888-picture5916.jpg
cked.....

I love asparagus with big fat heads. More flavor. Those skinny ones they sell in the supermarket now have totally devoid of any flavor. :angel:

Nice!

Reminds me of Euell Gibbon's "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" or TMEN from my hippie daze!

Now that I'm in my hippy days I buy it at the farmers market! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree with Addie, I go for the old fashioned fat asparagus, none of that pencil style stuff for me!

Nice. We used to pick grocery bags full along the irrigation ditch banks where DH grew up in southern Idaho. We gorged ourselves and I canned the excess (only way to get it 400 mi. home).

I just picked a fistful from the garden for dinner...yum.

I don't recall ever seeing wild asparagus... in the wild.

The stuff that I used to gather was not truly wild. We would find it growing near old building foundations when we went exploring in the country. We used to find it in the summer when the stalks had gone to seed and looked like small boney Christmas trees then file the location away in our memory banks and go back in the spring.

We used to find it in the summer when the stalks had gone to seed and looked like small boney Christmas trees then file the location away in our memory banks and go back in the spring.

Yep. That's the way to do it. Urban gleaning is a bit more of a challenge ever since I read that one shouldn't pick plants on park land property.

I prefer the fat ones too----- because they have more flavor. I used to pick wild asparagus all the time and they 'are' good but not as much..........

I was told that all the 'miniature' veggies that are oh so cute now and so popular don't have as much flavor as the regular kinds. (Not just the young/small ones, but ones that never get big, thanks to plant geneticists.)

...I was told that all the 'miniature' veggies that are oh so cute now and so popular don't have as much flavor as the regular kinds. (Not just the young/small ones, but ones that never get big, thanks to plant geneticists.)

I agree. When on vacation in Aruba, we buy huge fat carrots at the supermarket that are sweeter and more flavorful than the bagged mini carrots we see at home.

I prefer the fat ones too----- because they have more flavor. I used to pick wild asparagus all the time and they 'are' good but not as much..........

I was told that all the 'miniature' veggies that are oh so cute now and so popular don't have as much flavor as the regular kinds. (Not just the young/small ones, but ones that never get big, thanks to plant geneticists.)

They don't. Give me a big hunk of a carrot, potato or any veggie. Sure some of the big ones have more seeds, but that problem is easily solved. Scrape them out if they bother you. Grape tomatoes are totally flavorless to me. I want flavor, not cuteness. :angel:

Yep. That's the way to do it. Urban gleaning is a bit more of a challenge ever since I read that one shouldn't pick plants on park land property.

Also---- urban gleaning of food by a highway may have some problems with toxic materials spewed from the vehicles using the highway. Or lead in the soil.

But if I were starving, I'd take the chance! :)

Up on Route 1A the old Italian women would go onto the median strip and dig up the dandelion greens. They would get into fights as what was their patch when someone crossed the imaginary line. Finally, the authorities had to put a stop to it. Too many were getting hit by cars when going to and fro from the strip. :angel:

I don't think there is any actually wild asparagus in North America. It isn't native. I think the "wild asparagus" is actually feral. ;)

I don't think there is any actually wild asparagus in North America. It isn't native. I think the "wild asparagus" is actually feral. ;)

I think you may be right. The 'wild' asparagus I picked was downwind from an area that had many asparagus fields. :ohmy:

I've been known to help the city or county reduce its maintenance expenses by removing some the items that they will eventually need to pay someone to dispose of, I feel it's my civic duty to help out where I can! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Actually, the other way around. Farmed asparagus is simply "feral" asparagus that's been cultivated. The stuff people pick and call wild asparagus in this country is the same variety you buy in the grocery store. And "white asparagus" is simply green asparagus that's covered over with dirt or plastic tunnels to keep the sunlight out, which in turn prevents it from creating chlorophyll.

Actually, the other way around. Farmed asparagus is simply "feral" asparagus that's been cultivated. The stuff people pick and call wild asparagus in this country is the same variety you buy in the grocery store. And "white asparagus" is simply green asparagus that's covered over with dirt or plastic tunnels to keep the sunlight out, which in turn prevents it from creating chlorophyll.
I'm confused. I call it feral because it escaped from cultivation. It's not native to North America. It was brought here in the 1700s, presumably to cultivate it. I agree it's the same species as the cultivated asparagus.

Actually, the other way around. Farmed asparagus is simply "feral" asparagus that's been cultivated. The stuff people pick and call wild asparagus in this country is the same variety you buy in the grocery store.

Not quite :) because most of what we buy in the store are hybrids so their seeds won't reproduce true. But it's a small point.

I agree. When on vacation in Aruba, we buy huge fat carrots at the supermarket that are sweeter and more flavorful than the bagged mini carrots we see at home.

I buy 28lb bags of "pony carrots" (ie sold for owners to feed to their equines) for Horse from the local greengrocer and Horse kindly allows me to take some home. They are often peculiar shapes - corkscrew, bifurcated and other oddities that the supermarkets won't accept. They are delicious. Much better than the tasteless supermarket carrots. They're a fraction of the price - less than 10 pence a pound, unlike supermarket ones at 55 pence a pound and, unlike the supermarket carrots, they come from the next county - about 30 miles away and don't travel three times round the country before getting to the greengrocer's shop.

They don't. Give me a big hunk of a carrot, potato or any veggie. Sure some of the big ones have more seeds, but that problem is easily solved. Scrape them out if they bother you. Grape tomatoes are totally flavorless to me. I want flavor, not cuteness. :angel:

I agree completely. Give me a flavorful, non-messed with, ugly veggie, with full flavor every time. Spots on apples, no problem. Spots or cracks in tomatoes, serve 'em up. Carrots, the fatter the better.

Mini carrots, perfectly round tomatoes, skinny asparagus, why can't people be satisfied with real, natural food. It's healthier, and engineered by nature, or Deity to work with out taste buds, etc.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom