Pressure Cooker Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
This is fiddly...but I love the way the cabbage comes out. I use my Electric Pressure Cooker, 24 minutes per pound of corned beef, use natural pressure release if cooking corned beef only.

Here is my recipe for Corned Beef, Potatoes, Carrots and Cabbage:

For a 3-4 pound Corned Beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 ribs celery chopped
1 ¼ c water

Place meat on trivet in cooker, add onions and celery with the water. Cover, check the cooker is well sealed. Set on High Pressure and time for 24 minutes a pound, i.e. 3 lbs x 24 = 72 minutes, round up to 75 minutes.

While cooking prep:
Potatoes , washed, peeled (or not) cut in quarters
Carrots, washed, peeled (or not) cut in 2 inch lengths, halve if pieces are large
Onions, the more the better, peeled and quartered - we are onion fiends, we will each eat a whole onion
Cabbage, trim, core and wedge into 6 pieces.

When the timer goes off allow the pressure to come off naturally for 20 minutes and then finish with a quick release. Remove lid when safe. Keep head and face away from the pot as you are removing the lid.

Lay the potatoes, carrots and onions over the top of the beef. Recover and bring back to High Pressure for 10 minutes. Natural release of pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release. Remove lid safely, lay cabbage on top of all.

Recover and bring back to high pressure only, quickly release pressure. Safely remove lid. Cabbage will be al dente.

That sounds delicious, PF. I used to make my corned beef and cabbage in the crockpot but this sounds like my next adventure. (My crockpot is getting very dusty.)

My PC didn't come with a trivet so I actually ordered one from Amazon and it's on it's way. I had cheesecake on my mind. And bread pudding. :pig:

But I've run across a couple of main dish recipes that need it as well.

I love this pressure cooker, I can use it as a slow cooker, rice cooker, warmer. Best thing I ever bought.

PF, what PC do you use? I've always been interested in pressure cooking but am uncomfortable with using my MIL's old one even after getting new gaskets and valves. It doesn't have any markings on it to tell me the pressure and I'm never quite sure when to use it so it sits collecting dust in the back of a cupboard. Perhaps something more versatile like you describe will help me make the leap.

PF, what PC do you use? I've always been interested in pressure cooking but am uncomfortable with using my MIL's old one even after getting new gaskets and valves. It doesn't have any markings on it to tell me the pressure and I'm never quite sure when to use it so it sits collecting dust in the back of a cupboard. Perhaps something more versatile like you describe will help me make the leap.

I had one of the old pressure cookers and couldn't find the valves to refit it. So I got the Cuisinart Electric and am enjoying the experience. Much safer and quieter than the old one. I also have a Fagor set that I can use for larger batches.

I haven't used a PC in 30 years, but see a definite advantage for braised meats like corned beef.
I do not own one either. So another 30 years without seems in order (if I make 30 more years).
I just do not have one more inch of space anywhere to store it. Now with my MIL with us, we have accumulated even more cooking apparatuses.

In fact today I have to go through many boxes of tools and similar that we have brought home from her garage.
We are busting at the seems. We need a yard sale. But we live in the country and hardly anyone drives down our road.

Thank you PF!!

BTW - What make, model and SIZE is your PC?

Back
Top Bottom