Best Friend Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanlover

Assistant Cook
I have been remiss in not spending more time here, my apologies; that will change and I look forward to getting to know you all!

I developed this one especially for @Hairball, knowing she loves strawberries. I couldn't call it Hairball pie, that's just....not right, LOL! We've gotten so very close, that I decided to call it Best Friend Pie. Love you, Diamond Girl!

Best Friend Pie
Serves 6

1 envelope Sans Sucre Strawberry Mousse mix
¾ cup cold skim or 1% milk
1 9" graham cracker or shortbread prepared crust
8 oz (about 25 large) fresh strawberries
1 large barely ripe banana (a little green is OK)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp granulated Splenda
Cool Whip

Wash and hull strawberries. Drain in colander until nearly dry or pat mostly dry with paper towel. Slice each strawberry in uniform thin slices with a hard-boiled egg slicer, reserving 6-8 whole berries and 12 berry slices. Place sliced berries in a covered container and sprinkle with Splenda. Cover and shake gently until Splenda powder has disappeared, set aside. Chop up the remaining 6-8 berries; place in a small bowl and set aside. Slice banana with egg slicer for uniform slices. Lay on plate and brush both sides lightly with lemon juice to prevent the banana from browning. Set aside.

Per box instructions: In medium mixing bowl, mix together 1 envelope mousse mix (two envelopes if you have a deep dish crust) and ¾ cup cold milk (1.5 cups milk if using two envelopes) on lowest speed of electric mixer, just till mixed. Gradually increase speed of mixer to the highest speed over the next 4 minutes; continue whipping at highest speed for one minute. Fold chopped berries gently into whipped mousse. Spread a small amount of prepared mousse on the bottom of the pie crust, a very thin layer (so that the fruit doesn't soak the crust).

Line the bottom of the pie crust evenly with sliced berries, covering all the crust. Spread another mousse layer evenly over berry layer. Add a layer of banana slices. Top with a thick layer of mousse, making sure it's all the way to the top and sides of the crust and there's no "hump" in the middle. Top with reserved sliced berries, arranged decoratively in a circle around the edge of the pie. Cover pie and refrigerate 4-6 hours. Serve with a dollop of Cool Whip, if desired. Keep leftover pie covered and refrigerated.

Note: This pie is as low-carb as possible, since I am diabetic. If you can't find sugarfree Sans Sucre products at your local grocery, it is available in many flavors of cakes and mousse online thru Amazon.

Last edited:
Oh, my apologies! This recipe is for Crazycatlady, whom I know as Hairball from another forum......sorry I was confused!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom