Cochinita Pibil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Has anyone ever made this, done low and slow? I'm going to try this on the Egg using hardwood charcoal. No smoke. I see many recipes that require cutting the pork (shoulder/butt) into chunks, but I will probably use Steven Raichlen's method for a whole butt.

I made it for my daughter's graduation party. Kind of like Mexican pulled pork, and a good meal to make for a crowd.

I slow cooked mine in the oven. I did cut it into chunks because it was explained in the recipe that this allows the flavor permeate the meat more thoroughly.

I made it for my daughter's graduation party. Kind of like Mexican pulled pork, and a good meal to make for a crowd.

I slow cooked mine in the oven. I did cut it into chunks because it was explained in the recipe that this allows the flavor permeate the meat more thoroughly.

Did you wrap in banana leaves?

Love cochinita pibil. I've not made it, but we have it all the time when we're in Mexico. :yum:

I love it, but lean more towards carnitas. The thing I love most about the the cochinitas is the sauce/renderings. With carnitas, you just don't get that, and have to rely on a decent side accompaniment.

Banana leaves are pretty easy to get if you have access to an Asian market, or Carniceria. While not mandatory, they do add to the outermost layer of flavor, a very "green" flavor, like if you get a tamale from salvador v a tamale from Mexico.

Being in a location where Latin-American markets are abundant, banana leaves, utensils and spices for their cuisine are readily available. I'm using a boneless pork shoulder. I can spread the marinade evenly. I will also make deep holes in the pork, like I do when making a Cuban style roast, for the marinade to penetrate.

The Egg is coming to temp. Time to wrap the pork.

36788-albums991-picture5961.jpg

36788-albums991-picture5960.jpg

Put it on about 10 minutes ago.

Internal temp is 180F. When it hits 190F, I'll pull it, wrap it and let it rest.

36788-albums991-picture5962.jpg

Pulled and wrapped to rest.

36788-albums991-picture5963.jpg

It rested while we went to the grocery. I made the Pico after we got home and let it macerate for an hour. Time to unwrap!

Stripped to the banana leaves.

36788-albums991-picture5965.jpg

Stripped to the money!:chef:

36788-albums991-picture5964.jpg

Pulled and ready for tacos!:yum: That is if we can stop stuffing our faces!:ohmy:

36788-albums991-picture5967.jpg

Thanks folks!:) Can't believe I waited this long to try it.

Someone on another forum, I posted this cook on, mentioned Al Pastor and Carnitas. Looks like I'll be venturing into both of those! Can't beat pork confit (Carnitas), done in manteca.:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom