Need help! How to make a crunchy cinnamon glaze? Like on Honeybaked Ham...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marioxb

Assistant Cook
Before my mom died, she used to make THE BEST coffee cake. Whatever you want to call it, crumb cake, cinnamon cake, but she called it coffee cake. The main cake was very similar to this recipe Quick Coffee Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com but wiith cinnamon in the cake as well.

The topping is what I'm having trouble with. I can't find it ANYWHERE online. Not sure what it's called, but it was a very similar texture (not taste) to the stuff on a Honeybaked Ham or a harder version of the glaze on a glazed donut. It was NOT drizzled on, it was solid, like a birthday cake. I know it contained cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar. Very crunchy. I know she DID NOT use a blow torch, like HBH does. It tasted like the rest of the cake, cinnamony and sugary. Somewhere between a glazed donut topping and toffee. Nowhere near as soft as the donut, nowhere near the toughness of toffee. Like I said, sorta feels like HBH topping, but in a coffee cake flavor.

Can anyone help me out here?

Before my mom died, she used to make THE BEST coffee cake. Whatever you want to call it, crumb cake, cinnamon cake, but she called it coffee cake. The main cake was very similar to this recipe Quick Coffee Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com but wiith cinnamon in the cake as well.

The topping is what I'm having trouble with. I can't find it ANYWHERE online. Not sure what it's called, but it was a very similar texture (not taste) to the stuff on a Honeybaked Ham or a harder version of the glaze on a glazed donut. It was NOT drizzled on, it was solid, like a birthday cake. I know it contained cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar. Very crunchy. I know she DID NOT use a blow torch, like HBH does. It tasted like the rest of the cake, cinnamony and sugary. Somewhere between a glazed donut topping and toffee. Nowhere near as soft as the donut, nowhere near the toughness of toffee. Like I said, sorta feels like HBH topping, but in a coffee cake flavor.

Can anyone help me out here?

In your coffee cake recipe it said:

1. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Drizzle top with melted butter.
  2. In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of cake. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

If you mix the melted butter INTO the topping mixture, you should get what you're looking for.

Last edited:
In your coffee cake recipe it said:

1. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Drizzle top with melted butter.
  2. In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of cake. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

If you mix the melted butter INTO the topping mixture, you should get what you're looking for.

Also try to take a spoon and with the back of it, gently press some of the topping into the batter, but not down into it, so it won't fall off when you go to cut it. The recipe for the streusel topping sounds about right. Also try using dark brown sugar. It has more molasses in it and should help make the topping crunchier. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom