Freezing Leeks for future use question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Its that time of the year, I have about 2 dozen leeks ( of decent size ) in the garden. The only thing I really used leeks for is to make Vichyssoise ( took me 6 tries to get the spelling on this one). With the recipe I have and the size of leeks I got in the garden, Ill probably need somewhere between 4 -6 leeks, leaving me with a bunch left over. Sure, I know they are hardy, and I can leave them in the garden probably through next spring, but Id love to dig them up now to make room for some fall crops since I still got a few more months.

So, Knowing that it is leeks, and that I will only be using them for vichyssoise and that I want to dig them all up now, IS there a best way to freeze them for future use ? cut up,blanch and freeze? Cut up, ook in a broth, puree and freeze like that ( in specific amounts to the recipe)? Other options?

Larry

Do you have a spare fridge? I kept mine in the crisper (the freezer was full). It seems to me, I didn't trim the leaves and I didn't trim the roots, wrapped loosely in a plastic grocery store bag. Otherwise, you can did them up and plant them in a pot, bring the pot in, water it every so often, and keep them until you use them all up that way. Or, you can chop, blanch, and freeze.

You could use them as a sub for regular onions in most applications.

If you want to freeze them, I'd prepare them first. Cut off the tops, split and slice then freeze. Texture will suffer a bit but they're going to be cooked so it doesn't matter.

The ones I put in the crisper kept for 4-5 months. I use leeks instead of onions or combined with onions when I have leeks.

If I remember, Larry, you are a vegetarian:

Eat Drink Better | Healthy recipes, good food: sustainable eats for a healthy lifestyle!

This one is on my list to try:

Potato Cakes with Leek and Carrot Recipe | Epicurious.com

I would think they could be made and frozen...I freeze zucchini fritters (cooked) and reheat them.

You can make a "roasted leek" spread (like an onion spread) and put it with brie cheese on your favorite toasted bread. Not exactly how I do it, but here's the idea:

roasted leek and provolone sandwich - Wonderful Ingredients

I basically saute the leeks in a bit of butter, add s&p, a sprinkle of sugar, and cook until lightly brown. Add some water, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes until soft. This is the stage where you could freeze the spread to use on sandwiches later. Or, skip the sugar and freeze in ice cube trays, lovely added to mashed potatoes.

Leeks go great with garlic, so add some roasted garlic to the spread ...

I made this recipe one year:

Sweet Potato-Leek Pancakes Recipe | Epicurious.com

A zillion things to do with leeks. In North America, leeks are under used, IMO, and not as well appreciated as they are in Europe and other places. Bonus when growing your own, they tend to not be full of sand. Much more fun to work with. I leave mine in the ground as long as I can because the winters and wet springs just haven't made a late / winter garden possible. Although, the endive we dug up one fall was excellent with our Christmas dinner.

I freeze chopped onions as well as green onions with no problem. They are going to be cooked anyway. I don't see why leeks would be any different.

I freeze chopped onions as well as green onions with no problem. They are going to be cooked anyway. I don't see why leeks would be any different.
I do the same when I have freezer space. At this time of year, freezer space is at a premium (especially this year with Conrad, the bull calf purchase), so if I can keep s/thing another way, I do.

Back
Top Bottom