Freeze Dried Okra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Has anyone ever used Dehydrated or Freeze dried okra? I have been given a bag of "okra cuts" that are freeze dried... not quite sure what to do with them.

Any advice?

I don't know. Try one! I wonder if they could be used in gumbo. I would think so, as mixes like Zataran use dried okra in them.

Last edited:
I would put them in Gumbo or any stew. Don't think they would do well as a rehydrated side veg.

Can you eat them like potato chips?

They are crunchy and pretty tasty but not great snackage...

I would put them in Gumbo or any stew. Don't think they would do well as a rehydrated side veg.

I rarely cook stews and soups although I agree this would be a good addition. Usually I just fry okra in cornmeal but somehow I don;t think the dried stuff will do well....

Has anyone tried this with a traditional okra and tomatoes-type preparation? Wondering about the slime factor....

We won't know until you rehydrate some of them...

Yeah but... well... this large pile of desiccated slime bombs is making me just a little nervous. I was hoping to learn from someone elses mistake experiment awesome dish :)

Just do a little bit of it and check it out. Soak a few pieces in a little warm water. "Cuz, I'm not going out to buy any to check it out, LOL!

Hmm. I was going to say try whizzing some up in the FP, and add them to chicken soup, but on second thought, that would kind of make it like snot.

Do you have chickens, Janet?

Last edited:
Hmm. I was going to say try whizzing some up in the FP, and add them to chicken soup, but on second thought, that would kind of make it like snot.

Do you have chickens, Janet?

No chickens... no gumption either...:chicken:

Oops, I'd forgotten you were vegetarian. DH feels it would be a good addition to vegetable soup.

OMG! Did you see this recipe? trying it...sorry Janet, I just hijacked your Okra thread for Zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom