Campfire cooking equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mimi820 said:
Has anyone ever cooked cornbread in an electric skillet? We are going camping and I was just wondering
I cook cornbread pancakes all the time in an electric skillet all the time. They are an excellent accompaniment with beans.

I don't know why a cake of cornbread would not cook in an electric skillet. I imagine the crust would not be very crunchy, and would would browned in an area that corresponded to the heating element.

Hmm, I may try your question - I'm told my grandmother used to cook cornbread in an iron skillet on the stovetop.

Tom

omg, gretchen, are you joking? using river stones is the absolute worst thing you could put around a fire, if you don't know what your're doing. certain types of stones will explode in a fire because they trap water which turns to steam, then kaboom! and shrapnel everywhere.

fun times....

I know what Gretchen is talking about .. you put a few river stones around where you build your campfire ... to rest the grill/grate on - before you build the fire. As the fire gets going the rocks dry out.

Of course, if you take cold wet rocks and toss them into the embers, you should only do so by shouting an appropriate accompanying phrases such as "Incoming!" or "Fire in the hole!", or something like that.

One method used by Native American cooks was to take river rocks and heat them in the fire ... then drop them into a "pot" made from a buffalo stomach hung from a tripod ... filled with meat, wild vegetables, water ... the rocks caused the water to boil ... made it boil and simmer ... although the books I have don't say it, I'm sure the rocks had to be replaced with fresh hot rocks periodically.

michael, like i said, certain types of stones explode before they dry out. i'm pretty sure slate is one of them. i've seen people picking bits of rock out of their clothing.

but that's ok. your's and gretchen's advice will help thin the herd.

Michael in FtW said:
...One method used by Native American cooks was to take river rocks and heat them in the fire ... then drop them into a "pot" made from a buffalo stomach hung from a tripod ... filled with meat, wild vegetables, water ...
Sounds like haggis American style... :smartass:

Tom

Michael in FtW said:
One method used by Native American cooks was to take river rocks and heat them in the fire ... then drop them into a "pot" made from a buffalo stomach hung from a tripod ... filled with meat, wild vegetables, water ... the rocks caused the water to boil ... made it boil and simmer ... although the books I have don't say it, I'm sure the rocks had to be replaced with fresh hot rocks periodically.

Now we are talking camp fire cooking, no electric skillets here. Add a few of those exploding rocks for added interest and mineral content you've got a meal.

We take the camp oven and the tripod. When we want something quick we use the gas grill on the side of the camper.

Chuckbox

I am currently a scout looking to purchase a couple of chuckboxes. (The big boxes you store all your cooking equip. in, just in case anyone didn't know). I have hear of stainless steel, or aluminum ones compared to the traditional wood ones. Does anyone know a good website I could go to find some stanless steel or aluminum chuckboxes for a reasonable price?

Thanks so much
Superscouter21

I usually set up a fire pit and use rocks or bricks to support a ....shoot don't know what you call it I guess its call the grill insert....you know when you open your grill at home the metal piece you put your meats on....anyway. I use that and bring along a cast iron skillet that I use just for camping and a grill griddle pan too. I also bring along a small charcoal grill just in case but usually don't use it.
I inherited my parents huge cast iron griddle and I plan on getting it out this spring and cleaning it up and seasoning it so thats what I'll be using this year instead of that grill insert.

SuperScouter21 said:
I am currently a scout looking to purchase a couple of chuckboxes. (The big boxes you store all your cooking equip. in, just in case anyone didn't know). I have hear of stainless steel, or aluminum ones compared to the traditional wood ones. Does anyone know a good website I could go to find some stanless steel or aluminum chuckboxes for a reasonable price?

Thanks so much
Superscouter21

Welcome to DC SuperScouter...
I've never heard of the stainless or aluminum ones. Maybe a google search will turn up something. The aluminum sounds interesting depending on what guage it is.. It might alot lighter...

Have you searched ebay? You pretty much can find anything there...you may have to modify your search on the site and break it down to certain trigger words. Seems to me I do recall seeing those things as a little girl. If you find one can you please post a pic.

I always bring along my cast iron dutch ovens if I'm driving to the site. It always seems that camping trips center around the camp cook. I guess food tastes better cooked on a fire. Does any one here use a chuckbox to keep all their kitchen and cooking supplies together? I couldn't funtion without mine.

I bring my Coleman stove, but for actual CAMPFIRE cooking, I use tin foil, and as was suggested earlier, throw away pans like aluminum pie plates from the dollar store. I also have a grate that has clips on it that you can make toast in, burgers, fish, ANYTHING, really. You just place what you are cooking in it, close and attach the clips. I also will sometimes bring extendible weiner forks. The are telescopic and help with keeping your eyebrows intact because they keep you at a safe distance from the fire. I try to minimize what I bring on my canoe trips because, of course, you carry everything you pack with you, so I pick and choose my meals and essentials before a canoe trip.

I find a good idea is to pre-mix scrambled eggs and put them in a polycarbonate water bottle. On my last canoe trip I pre-made an omelette, put it in the bottle and stuck it in the cooler. It was much easier than bringing whole eggs and risking them all breaking.

I find a good idea is to pre-mix scrambled eggs and put them in a polycarbonate water bottle. On my last canoe trip I pre-made an omelette, put it in the bottle and stuck it in the cooler. It was much easier than bringing whole eggs and risking them all breaking.

That is such a cool idea!!!

For camp cooking, Aluminum foil--heavy weight and disposable aluminum pans. Quite often I cook in the pans, double thick and set them right on the coals. Wrapped tightly with foil, you can get some seriously great meal...

I bring a coat-hanger and no food that can't be stuck on the end of it and hung over a fire. ;)

I reckon I will see if I can take some photos of our cooking set up at our Rendezvous which will be at the end of Oct.
Been cooking over the campfire for nigh on to twenty years. It is mighty hard to beat.
Specially bacon cooking, first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom