Best type of frying pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi I have bought an induction hob as I am stuck with using solid plates that take ages to heat up and cool down and I burn stuff.

The one I have got states suitable size 16-26 cm but would hold 30cm. Would this mean it only got hot in the centre?

Some induction frying pans are non-stick others are ceramic.

And some have a ribbed base.

Any ideas on these please?

This is good question to your, rather to the induction stove you got Instruction manual. Of course the easy way is to touch it when it is hot, make sure it is not too hot. I've never used an induction stove, hob as you call it,I bet it is the same thing, but i have seen advertisement for them and supposedly it is a great little stove,you can get the pans on it pretty hot. Of course depending on the quality of your pan heat will or will not travel all the way thru it. Most likely it will, but I would expect it to be hotter on the part that seats directly over the heating element that the sides that are hanging over. I bet I did not really help you. The only way is to simply use it and see what is going on.

Hi was thinking mainly in ceramic / non stick

And ribbed base / normal.

I found that size does matter in that a large saucepan will not get hot all over. it is mainly in the circle are that it gets hot.

Would a ceramic be better than non stick to use?

Out of curiosity, I look for the required "induction symbol" necessary for induction cookware to work on induction hotplates. Otherwise, a pan won't work on an induction "hot plate". I think that product is overrated, but a step up, I suppose, from the usual hotplate.

Last edited:
Here is the symbol for induction cookware. The pans I've shopped for recently, I've not even looked for that induction symbol

induction_icon.jpg

Last edited:
Just means the pans have to be made of a magnetic metal. Cast iron works well with induction. So do carbon steel and black steel (which is just a thinner gauge carbon steel). Tri-ply stainless clad and lined also works well but must be magnetic stainless steel. Test with a magnet. CI, carbon and black steel, when properly seasoned, become non-stick. Tri-ply can be bought plain, ceramic coated or non-ceramic coated.

thanks for the symbol info, cas. i've heard about it but have never actually known what to look for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom