Frozen Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

espresso

Assistant Cook
I have some chicken sitting in the fridge that is defrosting and probably needs to be cooked as soon as its defrosted in order to not go bad. So I have two questions:

1) What is your favorite seasoning pair for chicken breasts? I usually do salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil, and sometimes a bit of ground cumin.

2) What is the best seasoning/use for chicken that needs to be cooked the same day and didn't have time to be marinated for extended periods of time? I was thinking of using one of those taco mix sauces but am open to suggestions.

I like honey & garlic as a marinate, another good one is orange marmalade & horseradsish.

a middle eastern rub goes well with grilled chicken and doesn't require any marinating time.

grind up 6 or 7 allspice berries, 2 cloves (the medieval weapon looking spice), a pinch of cumin seed, a pinch of fennel seed, a pinch of celery seed.

add 1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, turmeric, black pepper, powdered or granulated garlic, onion powder, dried herbs de provence, and sea salt.

Last edited:
My favorite is the lemon, rosemary, garlic combo. S&P of course. I like to roast chicken over some sliced potato's. Topped it with a kind of paste / rub of the above spice combo lemon zest and moistened it with some olive oil and the lemon juice. Slather it on the chicken and as the chicken bakes all that yummy flavor seeps down into the potato's.

I like honey & garlic as a marinate, another good one is orange marmalade & horseradsish.

Thanks i'll give the honey and garlic a shot soon.

a middle eastern rub goes well with grilled chicken and doesn't require any marinating time.

grind up 6 or 7 allspice berries, 2 cloves (the medieval weapon looking spice), a pinch of cumin seed, a pinch of fennel seed, a pinch of celery seed.

add 1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, turmeric, black pepper, powdered or granulated garlic, onion powder, dried herbs de provence, and sea salt.

Sounds delicious. I am missing a few of the spices (allspice berries and cummin seed, fennel seed) so I will have to pick them up. Any recommendations on good/not too expensive online vendors?

My favorite is the lemon, rosemary, garlic combo. S&P of course. I like to roast chicken over some sliced potato's. Topped it with a kind of paste / rub of the above spice combo lemon zest and moistened it with some olive oil and the lemon juice. Slather it on the chicken and as the chicken bakes all that yummy flavor seeps down into the potato's.

By garlic you mean garlic powder? Sorry I am new to cooking so forgive me for my newness haha.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I like to use whatever barbeque sauce I have on hand. Salsa is nice too. Your taco seasoning would work as well.

Try slathering the chicken pieces with some spicy brown mustard before coating them with a combination of Panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and a few shakes of whatever herbs and spices you enjoy, bake in a hot oven for 25 to 35 minutes.

An easy one is oil based salad dressing like Italian, greek, golden ceasar, etc...I like to make a home made poultry seasoning. Equal parts sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, onion powder, savory. Combining any, or all, of those combinations would do fine.

Put the chicken in a ziplock bag, add a generous amount of Walkerswood Jerk seasoning.
Put it in the coldest spot in the fridge for a couple hours. Fire up the grill and crack open your favorite adult beverage. When the grill is hot, plunk the chicken on the well oiled grate and sit back, enjoy the aroma for a spell. Turn the chicken. Get the kids and the old folks to the table, then set down, say Grace and dive in.

Soy Sauce, ginger powder and garlic powder, add some sesame oil it you have it. Marinate 30 minutes, fry up in skillet. Pour sauce in pan and bring to boil reduce till syrupy. sliced green onions on top, put all over rice.

Bone-in, Skin-on breasts? Or boneless?

BTW, I visited Trader Joes and by golly they have kosher bone-in not overly huge chicken breasts, 2 to a package. Most of the skin is removed which I now prefer. Skin on is good for bbq, not so good for casserole dish type recipes. Bones add to the meat flavor tho, IMO.

Last edited:
What? Frozen chicken! It has been cold at night, be we are not frozen!

Love,
Myrtle

PS - Welcome to DC. But I don't want to go to freezer camp. I don't think I'd make a good freezer camper--I'm four and that's too old to go to camp. I'd rather be a virtual therapy chicken. Where's my purple flight suit? Has anyone seen it?

If they are boneless, skinless breasts, I would brine them for a few hours, as they tend to dry out easily.

If the chicken has been frozen, and you thawed it in the refrigerator, why would it have to be cooked that very day? It should be fine in the refrigerator for at least 3 days.

That said, I prefer to brine chicken breasts before I do anything with them. It makes for a moister chicken dish.

Chinese dishes such as kung pao chicken, orange chicken, and Mongolian chicken lend themselves to simple marinades and short marinating times, usually from 30 to 60 minutes.

By garlic you mean garlic powder? Sorry I am new to cooking so forgive me for my newness haha.

I would use real, crushed garlic. BTW, unless its a holiday or the queen of England is coming to dinner I use the kind in the tube. :mrgreen:

What? Frozen chicken! It has been cold at night, be we are not frozen!

Love,
Myrtle

PS - Welcome to DC. But I don't want to go to freezer camp. I don't think I'd make a good freezer camper--I'm four and that's too old to go to camp. I'd rather be a virtual therapy chicken. Where's my purple flight suit? Has anyone seen it?

Calm down Myrtle. No one is going to send you to Freezer Camp. You are safe. Big Chicken would never let you leave her side. She loves you, just like the rest of us, too much to have you go anywhere without her.

Love Addie :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom