The Tuesday night bite..10/7/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Flank steak with shitake mushroom sauce and Chinese greens.
FFCw84O.jpg

Last edited:
Never tried flank steak like that, I only know to cut it into strips. Looks mouth watering. I'll have to learn to make shitake mushrooms too. It looks like a nice compliment to the steak.

I'm just having my leftover Sweet 'n Sour Pork I made last night. Next batch I'm going to look into how to fry the pork strips in batter so they have a breaded texture.

Last edited:
What a gorgeous picture. I love steak and mushrooms but for some reason those greens have my mouth watering. What are those greens called Rock? I need me some.

This is clean out the fridge for dinner night.

Last edited:
What a gorgeous picture. I love steak and mushrooms but for some reason those greens have my mouth watering. What are those greens called Rock? I need me some.

This is clean out the fridge for dinner night.
Those geens are called yu choy. Any Chinese grocer and even Walmart. They are easy to do up with a bit of garlic, chicken stock, or oyster sauce. Cut the leafy tops off, blanch the thicker stems for a few minutes until tender crisp and then throw in the leafy greens to finish off. My favorite greens.

Last edited:
Beautiful dinner, Rock, I'll have to look for yu choy.

We're still working the leftovers here.

That flank steak is perfectly cooked! :yum: The greens look yummy as well.

I had a hankerin' for a pastrami sandwich, so I got a few slices today from the grocery store deli. With some nice rye, dill pickle slices and mustard, it fulfilled my craving. Should have gotten more pastrami. :)

I'm trying out a pressure cooker recipe for red beans for red beans and rice. A side salad. German chocolate cake for dessert. Or ice cream. Or both.

wow, rock. just wow.

i haven't had a good flank steak in a long time.

i had to work late today for training on cbs's new online streaming news channel, so i didn't get to sleep until the afternoon and then wake up until after dinner. i ended up picking up, or rather got ripped off with takeout italian.

i ordered a simple chicken parm with a side of spaghetti and a side salad from a glorified pizza place nearby. it was $19.70 for nothing more than what you can get in any pizza joint around here. in fact, the side salad ($3) was about a cup - maybe less- of chopped iceberg lettuce, a single, halved cherry tomato, and 2 shavings of a slice of onion.

when i asked the guy why it was more than what it said on the menu, he said there were extra charges for takeout, for having the pasta in a separate container than the chicken (it said "over" pasta), and for asking for the salad dressing on the side. so $15 chicken parm turned into almost $20.

scratch that place off my list.

nickel and diming is a good way to lose customers.

I hate when that happens bt. Those places are "one and done" for us too.

I've had grumbellies again, so no real dinner. I did have some tuna salad because of the tuna thread making the rounds right now, and so far-so good. Himself finished up bits of this and that, but true to form I still have all kinds of food to recycle into some other kind of dinner. Tomorrow should be a real meal.

Back
Top Bottom