Dinner Friday, 10-10-14 ~ How are you getting your Yum on today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Dinner planned, but not yet executed. I'll be making tosses salads to get rid of some of my bulkier greens. Then stuffed baked potatoes, adding ham, broccoli and cheese.

Anyone else know what's cookin'?

same thing as last night; lasagna and garlic bread with the addition of sautéed swiss chard from the garden!!!

wow, 4000th post :blush::ohmy:

Last edited:
Ooo, does that mean it's time to party?
img_1392438_0_38c4fadbd761b19af12e82652f084fe1.gif

It might be indigestion!

It might be the cook's night off!

It might be Deja Vu!

It might be Groundhog Day!

It might be leftovers!

It is stuffed peppers and a salad! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

"Onion soup" burgers, topped with caramelized onions and gruyere cheese.

Stuffed peppers here, too, Aunt Bea. They're stuffed with hot Cajun sausage, sauteed onions and garlic and topped with sharp cheddar. Bacon-flavored black eyed peas and iced tea complete the main part. Banana pudding with whipped cream for dessert. The dessert is a make-do because we were in Nashville all day yesterday doing the doctor "thing," so no baking. Today was a catch-up on rest after yesterday's Nashville excursion.

We're going to the local Irish Pub tonight. I'm thinking "fish & chips" but hold the chips and I want their fantastic "Black and Tan" onion rings made with Guiness and lager beer batter.

Had to work late so I didn't get time to organize anything. Frozen chicken fingers and tater tots in the toaster oven. I'll add a few chopped raw veggies and some pickled things to make it feel like a meal......Chase it all down with a big fat beer....

Ribs and rice for everyone but me. I had over easy eggs topped with melty cheese. Salad was avocado/tomato/cucumber with fresh lime juice. Now I'm having a coffee and relaxing.

I've changed course. I remembered that I had made a double batch of a bolognese sauce and had some frozen. We'll have that with rigatoni pasta and a tossed salad.

I made a double batch of stuffed pasta shells last week. Tonight we heated up the second half and served it with garlic bread and seasoned green beans.

we went out car shopping today (dw "needs" a new car), and out to dinner for our 11th wedding anniversary.

we enjoyed going to a bonefish grill restaurant down the shore a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to try out the one near our house.

luck didn't strike twice, unfortunately.

we started with the seared tuna appy and the singapore calamari appy. the tuna was meh, ok, but the calamari was awful. it was breaded in what i can only describe as what you would use for double dipped fried chicken. heavy and greasy, and the calamari inside was rubbery.

then, dw ordered the fish tacos with the sauces on the side. it came with the sauces loaded on top. she sent it back, but was able to munch on a side salad until it was corrected.

my boy ordered a special: grilled swordfish topped with feta cheese, and a side of pumpkin ravioli. the feta cheese was a weird addition to grilled fish, so it was just pushed to the side. i tasted the swordfish and it must have been a belly cut as it wasn't the typical firm flesh of swordfish but rather kind of mushy. i didn't say anything as the boy still ate it, but now probably won't be ordering swordfish again thinking it tastes odd.
the pumplin ravioli were outstanding, however, so he was happy.

the funny part was when the manager came over to chat while we were eating. he seemed to want to have a long conversation while i guess we were supposed to let our dinners get cold.
i got him to leave, though, when he bragged that all of the fish was very fresh and the he hand selected and cut all of the fish that morning so i pointed out the problems with the swordfish and the other mistakes thus far. he didn't know what to say so he just went to another table. lol.

i ordered grilled tuna (rare) with a side of herbed couscous and veggies. the tuna was only grilled on one side. the other side was just kind of grey as if it was never flipped to that side down on the grill. if it were cooked properly, it would have ben ok. not exactly flavorful sashimi grade tuna, but ok.
the herbed couscous turned out to be quinoa - no big deal - but it was so overloaded with fresh basil that it tasted like i was eating shredded basil leaves from a plant that bolted and was bitter.
and my veggies tasted of having freezer burn.

dessert was creme brulee which was very good.

oh well, dinner wasn't nearly worth the $110 it cost (after a 13% tip - reduced because of dw's entree mistake, and the apology free manager), but car shopping went well which made dw happy. :)

we've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 cars; just have to test drive the range rover evoque and make a final decision. then the fun/bloodsport begins.

i should charge people to watch dw rip new corn shoots in the poor car salespeople. yes, i said poor. lol. she warns them up front that she was in both sales and criminal law (simultaneously) for many years, so buying a car to her is child's play.

and it's all fun and games until the dealership manager starts crying...

Happy Lucky Number 13 to you and your DW bucky. :flowers:

I'm thinking I would pay to watch her work over a car salesman. I do a pretty good job of getting a great deal myself, but I'm not too good to not take a tutorial from a master.

And about that bad meal? Maybe if that happens again (apparently at a different restaurant), ask to see the manager as you get ready to leave. We had a basically bad night out at an Olive Garden back when we used to eat there. I was pleasant and told him point for point what went wrong, and said if people didn't let management know they would not know why people didn't come back. I was surprised when he gave me a $50 gift card and apologized. He said he hoped we would come back to see that it wasn't always that way. Rather than take that card (more than we spent that night, BTW) to a different location, we returned about a month later. Wow! Everything was different - in a good way! We really enjoyed out meal and everything about that night. We even went on the same day of the week to make sure traffic was about the same for both nights. Unfortunately, that manager wasn't there that night. I told the mgr-on-duty to be sure to let the general manager know. Don't know if they ever did. After that we pretty much gave up on chains since there are so many stand-alone joints by us.

It seems like your manager tonight wasn't quite as interested in restaurant quality as the one I spoke with. Perhaps he needed a second discussion and a little :hammer:

Stuffed peppers here, too, Aunt Bea. They're stuffed with hot Cajun sausage, sauteed onions and garlic and topped with sharp cheddar...
Katie, you just gave me an idea for a winter kind of stuffed pepper, one with a bit more kick. Himself said he's willing to try poblano peppers stuffed with chorizo and rice. Deciding if the beans go in it too, or just on the side. Either a salsa style or chili-no-beans-no-meat kind of sauce. Maybe a sprinkle of cotija cheese on top. Gotta think on this one for a while.

you're probably right that i should have said something to him on the way out. i mean, nothing was inedible, and the mistakes were corrected, but it just wasn't as good as the other bonefish grill down the shore (it'sa chain of restaurants - a better version of red lobster as it were). i'm not one to complain when it's just a matter of opinion, and i probably would turn down any offer of a gift certificate (as i get slapped in the back of my head. ok, more like my butt. dw would have to jump to reach my head, lol).

now, if he wanted to refund what i spent tonight, i would consider that. a gift certificate is as much a ploy to get you to come back and spend more money there as it is to make good what they got wrong.

the good part is that there's another one about equidistant from our house as this one. we'll try that one in the next few weeks, i'm sure.

Last edited:
We've had the same experience with Texas Roadhouse. Ate at one on vacation - good. Went to the closest one to home - garbage. Decided rather than give the remaining amount on our gift card to my SIL (we eat free if I cash in Discover cashback points for restaurant gift cards, otherwise we don't usually eat at chains), we'd try the one twice the distance in the other direction. Winner! They've all been winners except for the one closest to home. That's OK, we'll have an excuse to stop at the one in Harrisonburg, VA, on our way to FL next month. ;)

Also looking forward to a relaxing evening at the Bahama Breeze in Fort Myers. Stopped there last year and enjoyed ourselves *burp*.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom