Thursday, Oct. 16. What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couldn't resist. The devil made me do it. Whatever.

When I was grocery shopping this week our Kroger had the most beautiful green tomatoes so...

Tonight's fare includes fried green tomatoes, steamed fresh asparagus, and salmon filet cooked in browned butter. Iced tea, then Little Debbie pumpkin cakes for dessert. Been ultra busy this week, so nothing homemade for dessert...yet!:rolleyes: That will change tomorrow.

I don't usually buy spice mixes, I have so many different individual jars in my cupboard, I mix my own. You know, Chili seasoning, Poultry seasoning, Apple Pie spice, Pumpkin Pie spice, Rubs and the like...
A friend of mine asked me to try Greek Seasoning, but I couldn't find like a McCormick or Schillings, you know, a well known brand, so I bought Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.
I put it on chicken thighs and grill `em up with some zucchini, sweet red bell peppers, sweet onions and some steamed white rice on the side. MMM :chef:
That's what's going on our dinner table tonight.

I have a chicken curry going. Basmati rice and naan...
.. ..Doesn't look like much but it had loads of flavor. I'll let you know tomorrow if it agreed with me...lol

0qJKRJL.jpg

Last edited:
I used our last six eggs to make a frittata with green pepper, onion, mushrooms ham and cheeses. We had corn bread and butter with it.

We had greek wings, fresh french bread, steamed asparagus and some peapods and hummus. Light, but so good.

alix, what are greek wings? i,ve heard of a lot of kinds of wings but never greek.

i'm guessing lemon, oregano, garlic, and red wine vinegar. maybe olive oil?

We had shrimp, avocado, spinach wrapped in lavash, with heirloom tomatoes on the side.

I also found out yesterday that I now have type 2 diabetes. Several years ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and I've been trying to eat and live healthy ever since. I was hoping to avoid it, but I guess genetics got the better of me. My mom and dad both had it, and my brother has it, too. :(

img_1393558_0_4f86544d39e9889ca9656dae799cb770.jpg

Last edited:
We had shrimp, avocado, spinach wrapped in lavash, with heirloom tomatoes on the side.

I also found out yesterday that I now have type 2 diabetes. Several years ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and I've been trying to eat and live healthy ever since. I was hoping to avoid it, but I guess genetics got the better of me. My mom and dad both had it, and my brother has it, too. :(

img_1393561_0_4f86544d39e9889ca9656dae799cb770.jpg

Your meal looks good, Steve. Sorry to hear about your diabetes.

Rock, your chicken curry looks so good....and Steve, I sure could go for one of those wraps...looks fantastic. I'm sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.

Dinner here tonight was a simple one....an egg salad sandwich on rye, and a couple of pears from the farm stand. The pears ripened up beautifully and were so sweet and juicy. I'm hoping they will have more this weekend.

We had thin slices of pork shoulder done in the oven, topped with brown sugar, paper thin onion and lemon slices, topped with some ribbons of ketchup. It was baked at 350 for 90 minutes. I know it sounds weird, but I've been doing that for years and it's really good.
We also had roasted veggies and garlic toast.

We had to drop my car off for a recall job, ran a couple errands, and ended up at our favorite Irish pub. Going in we had planned on splitting "Brendan's Famous Potato Pizza" and chasing it with an imperial pint a piece. After we ordered we thought we would still be hungry, so we had the server add an order of bangers and mash for us to split. This pub will divide your plate in the kitchen at no charge, so that's what we had her do. We were there close to closing and the place looked slow. Our plates came out and :ohmy:! It looked like they had to clean up the potatoes and the peas they serve with this meal. The only thing that we could tell was a true half were three bangers apiece. The dish comes with six. Well, I had no room for any of it since I was full by the time I had half the potato pizza. Himself had a few bites and then boxed his share up too. Bonus: I'm not cooking tomorrow!

I also found out yesterday that I now have type 2 diabetes...
Your meal looks lovely. The diabetes diagnosis? Not so much. :( Look at it this way: years ago they had limited means of catching it early and managing it properly. If caught early and managed properly today, it's more an annoyance than a worry. Good luck.

I had the last of the Tortellini with some low fat Alfredo sauce with some of the stir-fry veggies from last night's take-out!

With a friend, I provided hospitality for the new class of master gardeners last night. I made a southwestern casserole of ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic, hominy, corn, black beans, pureed tomato, a can of Rotel, and seasonings, with melted cheese on top, garnished with chives. My partner made cornbread and brought chips, salsa and cookies. I set aside a portion for DH.

Back
Top Bottom