Turkey fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Yesterday, I watched Tricia Yearwood's cooking program. she had fried turkey on the menu. They used a fryer that used no oil. The turkey looked nice and crispy and cooked to just the right temp. Have any of you tried this type of cooker?

You can't fry anything without oil or some other fat. Frying by definition means cooking food in fat.

It might have been one if those countertop convection oven thing.

Last edited:
You can't fry anything without oil or some other fat. Frying by definition means cooking food in fat.

It might have been one if those countertop convection oven thing.

No, they used it outdoors. I am only calling it a fryer, because that is what Lowes calls it.

I DVR a lot of cooking shows this time of year, and just watched the show you're referring too, lyndalou. :)

It was misleading - they shouldn't have called it "fried" turkey. She basted it in butter, put it into the cage, and lowered it into a turkey fryer with no oil. So it was actually roasted, not fried. They kept referring to it as fried, which was annoying.

I wouldn't care for the ranch dressing injection she used, either. :ohmy: I like my turkey to taste like turkey, maybe enhanced with some herbs, but not ranch dressing. But I'll still watch Trisha's show. :LOL:

I DVR a lot of cooking shows this time of year, and just watched the show you're referring too, lyndalou. :)

It was misleading - they shouldn't have called it "fried" turkey. She basted it in butter, put it into the cage, and lowered it into a turkey fryer with no oil. So it was actually roasted, not fried. They kept referring to it as fried, which was annoying.

I wouldn't care for the ranch dressing injection she used, either. :ohmy: I like my turkey to taste like turkey, maybe enhanced with some herbs, but not ranch dressing. But I'll still watch Trisha's show. :LOL:

Thanks, Cheryl. I was feeling kinda dumb there. You are absolutely right, it was roasted. I looked at Lowes ad once again and it needs propane gas to fire it up.

I agree that this ranch dressing thing does not appeal.

Did it look like the following and if so PrincessFiona60 is correct in that it is The Big Easy.

Here is a bird I roasted in mine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom