How to make laffa - laffot
I recently bought a tagine and am learning lots about Moroccan cooking, and am loving it.
I am new to making bread but have made four attempts at making laffa.
I want to be able to scoop up the wonderful food with a laffa. ;-)
After spending a long time looking on the Internet there only seems to be the same recipe on every site.
My last effort is getting close but I certainly couldn't roll up food in it.
The image is my last effort.
My flour is number 65
It should be possible to roll food up in a laffa but I can't to that with mine.
I've been using a hot frying pan and not the oven. A few people on the web suggest using an upside down wok.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
I converted the online recipes from cups to grams and downsized the recipe for two laffot.
Makes Six Laffot
420g of bread flour or AP will work
337g of of warm water
20g of dry yeast powder - * 4-5g for every hundred grams of flour = 7 tsp / but look at the instructions on your yeast.
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil for the mixture and more for oiling the bowl
1. Mix the yeast and flour in a mixer with a kneading hook or by hand.
2. Cover your hands with flour if you're going to hand knead, add about 70-75% of the water and more as needed, sugar, salt, & oil and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and shiny, and slightly sticky.
3. Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl, enough so that the dough won't stick to the bottom of sides.
4. Turn in the bowl to make sure it is covered in oil and cover with cling wrap and allow to rise to double its size. This should take about an hour or so.
5. Divide the dough into 6 parts, rolling each into a ball.
6. Cover with a moist towel and leave for 10 minutes to rest.
7. Roll or hand stretch each ball into a disk 30-35cm (12 to 15 inches) across - or whatever will fit into your oven or pan.
8. Bake at 180 C (350 F) for about 10 minutes, or toast with a little oil on medium heat in a frying pan. Turn over when scorch marks appear.
9. Remove from the oven or pan and immediately cover with a dish towel.
For Two Laffot
140g of bread or AP flour
112 g of water
2 tsp of olive oil for the mixture and more for oiling the bowl
6 -7 gr of dry yeast - 2+ tsp
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.