Tzimmes (Sweet Potato Dish w Meat and Carrots)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andypants

Assistant Cook
This is a staple of Jewish cooking although the addition of pumpkin pie filling and squash, and the omission of pruuuunes, were my own idea. This will make a large roaster's worth (8-9 lbs I would say) so cut it in half as needed/desired.

6 sweet potatoes
4 large carrots
1 lb (+ / -) of flanken or short ribs (you can also use stew beef or pot roast, some recipes use a whole brisket but this is more of a side dish)
1 large sweet onion
2 apples
1 butternut squash
1 small can pureed pumpkin
4 cloves garlic (or less as desired)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp honey
Cooking oil or mild olive oil

Peel potatoes, carrots, and squash. I had to use a knife to get the skin of the squash off and a vegetable peeler on the inner whitish part of the rind.

Cut potatoes and squash into 2" chunks (discard the stringy part of the squash with the seeds).

Cut carrots into equivalent sized pieces (the thick parts shorter, thinner parts longer, about 4 chunks per carrot).

Dice onion (1/2").

Chop or crush garlic cloves (I use a garlic press so there is a lot of husk left in the press, hence the 4 cloves).

Cut meat into 2" chunks (remove from bone if using whole ribs).

Peel and cut apples into 1" chunks (do the apples last and cover until needed so they won't turn brown).

Brown meat with 1/2 the garlic, set aside.

Remove any burnt garlic bits, brown onions in the rest of the garlic, add to the meat.

Put meat/onion mixture in bottom of lightly oiled roasting pan, mix with pumpkin puree.

Add rest of the ingredients (except the diced apple), spices, and honey, mix together.

Add a small amount of water to the bottom of the roaster (6 oz?), just enough to cover the bottom. Try to add it at the sides.

Bake in 325 F oven for 2 hrs. After first 1/2 hour, add the apples and mix together. Stir several times overall during cooking. Serve warm.

---

You can experiment with other spices (allspice, cardamon, ginger) and lots of recipes call for pitted prunes, golden raisins or dried apricot. This isn't too sweet, you can add more honey/brown sugar as desired.

Next time I will try adding a bit of lemon zest (1 Tbsp?), didn't think of it when I was purchasing ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
The carrots came out a bit hard, I would put them in with the rest of the ingredients for the full 2 hrs. I tried but was unable to edit the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom