Broth vs. drippings in recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
Hi. I have a question about using broth vs. drippings in recipes. Once you've degreased the drippings, and you would like to substitute them for broth, is the appropriate ratio 1:1? It seems to me that in general drippings are a bit more concentrated than regular broth, so that's why I was wondering. I've never read anything in a book about this, so if anyone has any helpful info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I think you need both. Defatted drippings aren't usually enough to make a lot of gravy. I always start with defatted drippings and a little fat then add home made turkey stock and flour to make the volume of gravy in want.

I think you need both. Defatted drippings aren't usually enough to make a lot of gravy. I always start with defatted drippings and a little fat then add home made turkey stock and flour to make the volume of gravy in want.

Thanks, Andy. Do you ever add water to the drippings since they seem so concentrated? If not, then I'm assuming that you consider the substitution ratio for broth vs. drippings to be basically 1:1?

In other words, to make gravy, either of the following would be acceptable?

4 Tbsp. fat
1 cup drippings
1 cup broth

OR

4 Tbsp. fat
2 cups broth

Neptune, I'm not talking about substitution at all.

Use some of the fat from the pan and all the defatted drippings. Then add flour and stock/broth to make the amount of gravy you want. No water. Water doesn't have any flavor.

Neptune, I'm not talking about substitution at all.

OK, thanks, Andy. But my original question wasn't about making gravy—it was simply about substituting drippings for broth in recipes and at what ratio. I've never really seen this matter discussed anywhere.

Do you make a roux and then add the liquid in ? or will the flour fully dissolve in the liquid when added ?

Personally, since I'm on a low-carb diet, I don't make roux anymore. I simply use a low-carb thickener called glucomannan powder. About 1 tsp. will thicken a cup of liquid. I add it to my liquid in the blender, and then immediately blend for about 10 seconds. Then I pour the liquid into a pan and heat it up, and it becomes nice and thick.

OK, thanks, Andy. But my original question wasn't about making gravy—it was simply about substituting drippings for broth in recipes and at what ratio. I've never really seen this matter discussed anywhere.

Sorry neptune, I assumed you were asking about gravy given the practically universal menu for the holiday.

In answer to your question, the flavors are going to be different. I would agree drippings would be more concentrated. They would also have a more complex flavor profile than stock or broth. I'd play it by ear, tasting and adjusting to get what I want.

What Andy said. I usually buy a few turkey drumsticks and/or wings and make stock before thaebig day.

Sorry neptune, I assumed you were asking about gravy given the practically universal menu for the holiday.

I understand. :)

In answer to your question, the flavors are going to be different. I would agree drippings would be more concentrated. They would also have a more complex flavor profile than stock or broth. I'd play it by ear, tasting and adjusting to get what I want.
Thanks for your help, Andy. One reason I'm asking is that I have an ethnic rice recipe that came from my grandmother. It calls for 1 cup of turkey drippings along with about 3 cups of water. I was telling my sister that she could probably make the dish using chicken broth during other times of the year, but I wasn't sure how much broth and how much water to use.

Anyway, your answer makes sense--thank you.

What Andy said. I usually buy a few turkey drumsticks and/or wings and make stock before the big day.

That's a good idea too--thanks, lyndalou. I have leftover chicken broth from about a week ago, so I'll be using that once I run out of the drippings, but yes, turkey broth would be even better. And I plan to make that once we've picked all the meat off the turkey. :yum:

I recently bought some bottled duck fat, and I think I may use that to make more gravy now that I've used up all the fat from the drippings. Since I don't fry potatoes that often, I think that's a better way for me to get some use out of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom