Sunday's Fixings - 2014-12-07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I was going to make a big pot of chili and cornbread today, but checked out the fridge and freezer real estate, and I won't have room for leftovers. So checked and I have everything except asparagus for this:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/okonomiyaki-89683.html#post1360193

I'll swap some green beans or broccoli for the asparagus. Probably add a side of refried rice. Going for something easy today. Got lots of "around the house projects" on the agenda.

Having a big dinner here for 6 eaters. Roasted turkey, green beans, a selection of potatoes of unknown making, more on that later, guacamole, tortillas, cherry pie a la mode. I had thought I was making mashed potatoes but that unknowingly morphed into baked potatoes, with baked sweet potatoes.

We're having some friends over for drinks and appys late this afternoon so dinner for us will be just that. I may be up to sneaking in a dessert during the late football game.

I'm experimenting with a couple of baked chicken cordon bleu breasts that I'd vac-packed and frozen last month. I'm sous viding them, sort of, in simmering water in the sealed vac-pack. We might have some TJ's fried rice alongside, with some boiled and mashed turnips.

Rob planned a meetup tonight at a Japanese restaurant, on Pearl harbor remembrance day of all days. That's rob for you!

Rob planned a meetup tonight at a Japanese restaurant, on Pearl harbor remembrance day of all days. That's rob for you!
He's not the only one--Japanese was on the menu here today. Only because I had all the ingredients and had forgotten to take any meat out of the freezer for the chili I had thought I'd make (before realizing I had no freezer real estate for any leftovers).

I was going to make a big pot of chili and cornbread today, but checked out the fridge and freezer real estate, and I won't have room for leftovers. So checked and I have everything except asparagus for this:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/okonomiyaki-89683.html#post1360193

I'll swap some green beans or broccoli for the asparagus. Probably add a side of refried rice. Going for something easy today. Got lots of "around the house projects" on the agenda.
Not the greatest picture. I ended up using some lobster meat that was in the freezer, a baby leek, some grated carrot, horseradish and the usual, with a side of Japanese noodles liberally sprinkled with Japanese 7 spice and a side of green beans with grated lemon zest. Water for me, beer for the DH. It was really good and easy once I had the ingredients mise-en-place. I am SO stuffed.

Attachments

• CWS_Dec_7_2014.jpg
    CWS_Dec_7_2014.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 164
We're treating ourselves tonight to bacon wrapped Filet Mignon done red (not purple) rare in a CI pan with sides of my rice pilaf and steamed broccolini.

We're really ticked off that one of those beautiful little expensive steaks of Filet Mignon was the end cut, bad side down full of gristle in the package. Grrr.:mad:
Believe me, it won't happen again when Steve has a talk with the Von's butcher tomorrow.
How I wish we had an old fashioned meat market like my Dad's where the butcher showed you both sides. Those were the days. Sigh.

We're really ticked off that one of those beautiful little expensive steaks of Filet Mignon was the end cut, bad side down full of gristle in the package. Grrr.:mad:
Believe me, it won't happen again when Steve has a talk with the Von's butcher tomorrow.
How I wish we had an old fashioned meat market like my Dad's where the butcher showed you both sides. Those were the days. Sigh.

Grrrr! How disappointing :(

We went out to dinner with friends and then to see "A Christmas Carol." I was bummed that the restaurant was out of their chicken tortilla soup but the play was fun and the company was great :)

Oh no, that sucks, Kay!

Speaking of underhanded meat tricks...

I thawed a pkg. that was labeled T-Bone. Turned out to be short ribs. I braised them with onion, carrot, celery, garlic and lots of red wine and had over garlic and leek smashed potatoes. Corn and a green salad on the side. Wondering who got my T-bones....

We've had problems with this butcher before. Years ago I defrosted a pkg. of steak and someone had cut out the eye and wrapped the fat around so it felt like a steak. grrrrr. This time it wasn't our choice, we split a beef with someone. Besides mis-labeling, we were shorted. Only received 3 out of 4 boxes. He did replace the missing cube steaks and short ribs (which turned out to be labeled t-bone, so I have lots), but we never got our rolled and tied Christmas roast. And the guy hung up on me when I asked him why this would not be considered theft. grrrrrr...

I had frozen flank steak strips marinated in soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper, sugar and some powdered ginger. I cut up a bell pepper and onion and celery and stir fried them and added the marinated flank steak strips to the frying veggies. French bread slices on the side. Not bad at all. Stir fried bell peppers and onions are a winning combo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom