Coconut Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to make it frequently, but my recipe was a bit different. I use orange juice instead of beer, and no sugar.

I love coconut shrimp, but lately I just don't want the mess of deep frying.

I want to make this recipe.
I thought I was happy with my $45 Cool Daddy fryer made by Presto, but I'm not now. It's kinda neat the way the lid flips up and the basket can be lowered down and all. The damn thing just can't fry fish for fish and chips worth a damn. It does OK with chicken drummettes and wings, but I still have to fry them a good 12 minutes. Also, I took a temp reading and the oil never really got past 350F at peak heat . The temp drops off drastically when the food hits the oil (even tho the food wasn't cold) and takes too long to get back up to temp. I'm looking into buying a better fryer. Also, I'm not that good yet at deep frying foods using my large cast iron skillet. Also, I read that frying with oil and a skillet is different than deep fat frying with oil. I'm still learning and hope to one day master cooking southern fried chicken using my CI skillet.

814305p.jpg

Last edited:
I used to make it frequently, but my recipe was a bit different. I use orange juice instead of beer, and no sugar.

I'm wondering how coconut milk would sub for the orange juice or beer?
It sounds reasonable me thinks.

If I was a gambling man I would bet the last time I had these at
Outback the shrimp were butterflied. (Is that a word?)

Yup it is. A couple of reason of why they do that. The food item will cook faster and it makes for a better presentation. It also makes some folks think they are getting extra jumbo shrimp. More for their money. :angel:

Also, I'm not that good yet at deep frying foods using my large cast iron skillet. Also, I read that frying with oil and a skillet is different than deep fat frying with oil. I'm still learning and hope to one day master cooking southern fried chicken using my CI skillet.

You can't really deep-fry in a skillet because in deep frying, the food is submerged in and surrounded by the oil. You can deep-fry in a Dutch oven. Usually with skillet frying, the oil comes about halfway up the sides of the food.

Thanks for posting this, Kay. I LOVE coconut shrimp and realized I haven't had it in a couple of years. :yum:

This will be on the menu for tomorrow - would have been today, but I didn't feel like getting dressed in real clothes and going out to the store. :LOL:

Thanks for posting this, Kay. I LOVE coconut shrimp and realized I haven't had it in a couple of years. :yum:

This will be on the menu for tomorrow - would have been today, but I didn't feel like getting dressed in real clothes and going out to the store. :LOL:

"Real clothes" huh? I took the chance of going out for a short errand today in my "house clothes" and no makeup.:ohmy: I always know for sure I'm bound to run into somebody. You'd think I'd learn. :wacko:

"Real clothes" huh? I took the chance of going out for a short errand today in my "house clothes" and no makeup.:ohmy: I always know for sure I'm bound to run into somebody. You'd think I'd learn. :wacko:

I know just what you mean! :LOL: With only 2 grocery stores here in my small town, I still think I can just fly in real quick with faded sweats and sunglasses and be incognito, and still I run into someone I know. Even a better grade of sweats wouldn't have worked on me today, though. :ohmy::ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
As far as subbing out the beer - I could be wrong, but I think it's the carbonation in the beer that gives the batter such a wonderfully light and crispy texture. Like in tempura shrimp. :yum: Seltzer water, club soda, or anything carbonated would do the same thing as beer I would think, or maybe even adding a little baking soda to the orange juice or coconut milk if one chooses to use one of those...?

I re-read the recipe for Outback shrimp, and it calls for flat beer. That has me confused. :huh: Maybe one of our members who are knowledgeable in food chemistry will chime in. :)

Sounds good, Kay. I hear ya on the gloppy heavy batter - I don't like that at all. I can't even remember the last time I fried fish or shrimp in batter, for that very reason. :) Copied and saved your recipe. :yum:

I have a nightgown that looks like a summer dress. I just put my housecoat on over it and run downstairs to get the mail. Sure enough, someone will be downstairs. :angel:

I think it was CraigC who posted a similar recipe a while back. I made it without a deep fryer and with unflat beer. The marmalade horseradish sauce was excellent with it.

Looovve coconut shrimp :yum:

Last edited:
If I was a gambling man I would bet the last time I had these at
Outback the shrimp were butterflied. (Is that a word?)

Yes, its a word. I always butterfly shrimp when I am deveining them. It just seems the right way. They look better, and they crisp up better.

Hm, I agree with you, Kayelle. I thought some carbonation was necessary for the texture.

I use a beer batter recipe i got from Martin Yang I think his name is.
It calls for equal parts flour and corn starch. A bit of oil, salt and flat beer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom