Help me find a tool that I don't know the name of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
I was at Subway yesterday, ordering something called a "Chopped Salad".

They take lettuce and spinach, a bit of finely cut cheese, and whatever vegetables you want. I decided on tomatoes, cuc slices, black olives, red onion, etc. - you know, the stuff they have there in front of you.

The man put this all into a s.s. bowl, then took this nifty tool to chop the vegetables up with.

It is about 8", curved with a few blades, and a handle. Like a much larger pastry blender, only more curved to match the slope of the bowl. It has a tough, well-made, commercial-tool type of appearance. All so very ergonomic!

And that is how I got my chopped salad, which I liked the texture of.

So, friends - what is this device called, and where might I find one - a commercial restaurant supply store, maybe?

Thanx! :chef:

Sounds like a mezzaluna to me. I have one and use it very much as you describe seeing the Subway man use the tool to chop the ingredients.

If you ever get one, be careful how you store it. The blades are very sharp.

Steve - the device they use at the Subway has more than one blade; I could not tell if it was two or three.

Fiona60, it was more like what you show.

Anyway, I want one... :LOL:

Any good kitchen supply store should have one. It is a Mezzaluna. If you can't remember the name tell the salesperson that you want an Italian salad chopper. You really should have a wooden salad bowl to go with it. Chopping in the bowl will protect the blades as well as make it a lot easier to chop. Some have only one blade, some two. I think the two bladed ones are more efficient and do the job quicker. But as stated previously, be very careful. Those blades are razor sharp and can give you a real nasty cut. When you do purchase yours, ask if they have a product that could protect the blade when storing. You never know. Someone may have come up with one by now. Every Italian woman I have ever known, has hers hung on a nail out of reach of the kiddies. And where she could keep an eye on it.

I personally prefer this kind. The two handles let you rock it much easier and move it across the bowl or board quicker. And it is the kind that I see in every Italian kitchen.

http://www.chefsresource.com/wusthof-double-mincing-knife-8.html

:angel:

Last edited:
I have one of these but not sure what it is called. Didn't half cut my finger with it once. Somebody had washed it then popped it into a cupboard. I reached into the cupboard and sliced my finger open.

Katie - thanks for your advice re the sharp blade(s)! I'd like to get the kind with 2 or even 3 blades.

Kayelle - I have never seen such an odd device in my life, but I hope I can at least see one in the store and decide if that might be a good thing to have, also. I'm familiar with herb scissors but that Trudeau thingy is not quite the same.

Addie, thanks for all your info. I guess that is what they were using at the Subway, but, actually it had more blades and a heftier look to it. The blades seemed to be quite far apart and there was 3, I believe. You know - for commercial use!

Horrible story, Wyshiepoo. Hope your finger was restored to good working order. I guess we could all trade stories about kitchen injuries. I have a lurid interest in this so that I don't feel too stupid about what I did. :LOL: I was using a supersharp brand new knife and so pleased with myself that I worked faster than usual chopping vegetables. The result? I shaved off my fingernail off its nailbed. To this day, that nail is all bumpy. It's growing back that way.

Sorry, folks. I couldn't help myself...

Thanks for all the info. I have a clue what to hunt for now.

I was at Subway yesterday, ordering something called a "Chopped Salad".

They take lettuce and spinach, a bit of finely cut cheese, and whatever vegetables you want. I decided on tomatoes, cuc slices, black olives, red onion, etc. - you know, the stuff they have there in front of you.

The man put this all into a s.s. bowl, then took this nifty tool to chop the vegetables up with.

It is about 8", curved with a few blades, and a handle. Like a much larger pastry blender, only more curved to match the slope of the bowl. It has a tough, well-made, commercial-tool type of appearance. All so very ergonomic!

And that is how I got my chopped salad, which I liked the texture of.

So, friends - what is this device called, and where might I find one - a commercial restaurant supply store, maybe?

Thanx! :chef:
I think what you are talking about is called a pastry cutter. Google it, and look at the picture. It has the curved blades with a nice stout handle. It not only works for cutting pastry into dishes, but works very well for chopping strawberries to make strawberry shortcake, or cutting up boiled eggs and potatoes for potato salad.
Any kitchen store and even WallyWorld should have them.:chef:

It's either an ulu or a mezzaluna. The ulu is an all purpose knife used by eskimos for everything. It is always one bladed and has only one handle.

A mezzaluna can have up to three blades and has two handles. It's either used to rock chop on a board, or in a bowl, most often dedicated.

I would venture that Subway uses is a mezzaluna, probably sized to fit their salad bowl,

Last edited:
Sometimes, certain tools are custom made specifically for the chain of restaurants. Perhaps you should ask the next time you visit Subway.

Also, the tool needs to conform to the shape of the bowl to be effective.

How about something like this:
Salad Chopper with Bowl

Ding Ding Ding and Bingo RF
......that set looks perfect and affordable to me. I'm going to order it!! There's nothing better than a perfect chopped salad!

Wait...I found it at
Bed Bath & Beyond....to use my coupon!

Last edited:
Yup, that Salad Chopper w/Bowl might do the trick for me, too!

Can't thank y'all enough for your input and helpful suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom