Sriracha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I have only heard of this recently and never used it. A local restaurant has started serving Sweet Lava Chili. I asked them what gave it the sweet taste and they said Honey Sriracha. Is there honey in shiracha? Or is there such a thing as honey sriracha? Or would I have to add honey to sriracha to achieve the same taste?

Carol as far as I know there's no such thing as honey Sriracha. Yes, you would have to add honey to get the same taste you're looking for. Sriracha is in a class of it's own when it comes to hot sauce and I love it mixed with other components. My barbeque sauce always includes it. Before Sriracha I never liked hot sauce at all. Good stuff..get some!

I have made a honey sriracha sauce that is essentially equal parts of each stirred together. Great on chicken wings with some sliced scallions and sesame seeds sprinkled over the top ...

Keep in mind that "sriracha" is not a brand, but a style, of hot sauce. And the ingredients are not set in stone, any more than there is only one type of chili. This restaurant might have their own concoction they're calling honey sriracha.

I went to the Huy Fong company site on line. There is one teaspoon of sugar in one ounce of sauce. But there are also 100 mgs. of sodium. Vinegar is also a product along with the peppers. There are a couple of stabilizers also which is to be expected. No artificial colors at all. What you see is what you get. :angel:

Huy Fong Sriracha rocks.

"I put it on everything!"

sriracha.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I have heard that there are other, better brands than the "Rooster", I haven't been able to find them. Anyone else heard of and/or know about other brands?

I don't know whether it's better or not because I've never tried any other brand, but Trader Joe's is very good.

Although I have heard that there are other, better brands than the "Rooster", I haven't been able to find them. Anyone else heard of and/or know about other brands?
I suppose "tastes better" depends on individual taste buds. Our Taiwanese nephew-in-law swears by The Rooster, says it's the best and "accept no substitutes". Good lord knows our taste at home varies from day to day, so we have about six different hot pepper sauces in the pantry. Remember our hot sauce thread from last year? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f19/your-favorite-hot-sauces-90545.html Or maybe you missed it.

I love hot sauces but Sriracha is one I don't care for.

The "Rooster" Huy Fong Sriracha is the one I've had and there is something about it that I didn't enjoy.

Maybe too much garlic or too sweet and not much heat? But it didn't match my taste buds. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show that this cooking deal really is different strokes for different folks.

No matter what you like it's all good as long as you and yours enjoy it. ;)

I've been a rooster Sriracha addict for 25 years. But when duh I figured out that Sriracha was a type of sauce and not a brand, I started experimenting with other brands.

They are really all over the place!! Some are more like Thai sweet chili sauce, some are like thin hot sauce.

I have never found anything I like better than the Rooster.

But like someone above said, "better" is 100% subjective.

Like the endless discussions @ Chowhound about fish sauce...

Try a bunch -- a decent Asian market should have several varieties-- it's not that expensive and choose the flavor you like best.

I love hot sauces but Sriracha is one I don't care for.

The "Rooster" Huy Fong Sriracha is the one I've had and there is something about it that I didn't enjoy.

Maybe too much garlic or too sweet and not much heat? But it didn't match my taste buds. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show that this cooking deal really is different strokes for different folks.

No matter what you like it's all good as long as you and yours enjoy it.
;)

So very true Zagut. I bet you're missing the vinegar as the first ingredient, exactly the reason why it appeals to my taste.
The Rooster is Chili first and vinegar last...Chili, sugar, salt, garlic, vinegar.

Last edited:
I use the Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce because it's mild in heat but sriracha-like in flavor.

So very true Zagut. I bet you're missing the vinegar as the first ingredient, exactly the reason why it appeals to my taste.
The Rooster is Chili first and vinegar last...Chili, sugar, salt, garlic, vinegar.

Maybe so Kayelle but what I like in my hot sauces is the taste of the peppers and the added ingredients.

For some reason The "Rooster" Huy Fong Sriracha doesn't appeal to me at all.

The acid could be an issue but as I age I've lost my sweet tooth and think that is a larger issue.

Keep in mind that "sriracha" is not a brand, but a style, of hot sauce. And the ingredients are not set in stone, any more than there is only one type of chili. This restaurant might have their own concoction they're calling honey sriracha.

Glad i clicked on this thread. I also thought it was a brand name.
I see it in the store but never looked at it closely to see who makes the brand. Seems we have only one brand available here, near by.

You do realize that my original comment is a quote from a popular tv commercial for Frank's ...:chef:

FRH-Tag-I-put-that-_-On-everything.jpg

We even use the phrase around here at home for fun. We buy the two pack at Costco as its price is excellent and Franks IMO is a very good sauce.
Not very hot like Tabasco. I like Tabasco on eggs. We buy both brands but use Franks 10:1.

I will now look more closely at whats available in the local grocery store.
Is "Rooster" the consensus winner?

The "rooster" is the one most readily available. If you have access to an Asian market, there are several others that are very good, some say superior. Shark is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom