ISO: How to use up 2 kg of cream cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
What was I thinking! When I went to the cash and carry yesterday, there was a special on 2 kg of light cream cheese (really good price). I gave some to my brother, I'm using some to mix with the foster dog's kibble in a Kong, but I still have about 1.5 kg to use up by the 19th. I'm thinking a savoury cheese cake...but that's not going to use all of it up. I know it doesn't freeze well. Ideas would be welcomed!

Tortilla roll-ups - mix chopped black olives, chopped mild green chilies, chopped jalapenos to your preferred level of heat (some recipes use hot sauce or salsa in the filling). Spread on flour tortilla and roll it up. Refrigerate then slice into about 1/2" long rounds (the cook gets to eat the ragged end pieces) and serve with your favorite salsa as a snack or an hors d'oevre.

There are any number of other things that can be added or used for the filling.

Mix it with some chili and cheese to make a dip, mix in some cream cheese and jam to make a good dip for crackers, buy a ton of bagels, have a party with these things!

Tortilla roll-ups - mix chopped black olives, chopped mild green chilies, chopped jalapenos to your preferred level of heat (some recipes use hot sauce or salsa in the filling). Spread on flour tortilla and roll it up. Refrigerate then slice into about 1/2" long rounds (the cook gets to eat the ragged end pieces) and serve with your favorite salsa as a snack or an hors d'oevre.

There are any number of other things that can be added or used for the filling.

My daughters and I love tortilla roll ups and make them a lot. We often add sliced avocado, and they're also good with a slice of deli turkey rolled up in there, too. You're right, there are so many ways to make them and they look so pretty plated. :) Now I'm craving them. :yum:

As mentioned, cheese cake is a great option, and I also like to make veggie dips.

But my hands down favorite use for cream cheese is in omelets. I love it with mushrooms and chives. It also doesn't overpower the delicate flavor of eggs like a lot of other cheeses do.

I'm fully convinced that if the French had invented cream cheese, it would be the recommended cheese to serve with egg dishes. ;)

Milleniums ago, DH and I were on a Caribbean island, maybe St. Martin? We went to a tiny resto where we had to drive up a mountain and sign up on a chalkboard for a limited seating of perhaps 10 tables. We met the sweetest owners and had an excellent meal. The most memorable dish was a savory cheesecake with scallions and topped with caviar. It was to die for.

One of my schools had cheesecake day, where the baker makes like 10 different cheesecakes all nicely sliced up, and everyone snacks on them throughout the day.

As has been said, leftover cheesecake freezes well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom