Question re: Best Cookware -Copper Core vs. Aluminum Core

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Cooking

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,
My apologies if I'm posting incorrectly, this is my first time posting questions to any forum.. I love cooking and have a large family and am in desperate need of some new cookware. I'm tired of the non-stick pans whose coatings keep disintegrating on me and want to upgrade to something that will really last, trying to decide which of the tons of options out there are right for me.. I was hoping to find out people's experiences with stainless steel coating and an aluminum core vs. stainless steel with a copper core. Basically I'm trying to determine if that copper core (like in the All-Clad Copper Core line) provides enough of a difference that it's worth the price difference over an aluminum core (like in the All Clad d5 Brushed stainless steel line). (And if you have another line you'd recommend that's appreciated too.) So if you have any experience with aluminum core or copper core, or even better both :yum: and wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks for listening! Happy Cooking Everyone!
Thanks!

If there is a difference between alum. and copper core, almost no one would be able to detect that difference.

I have had different brands of tri-ply SS cookware and I prefer it over the other options. All-Clad is top notch but you can find excellent equipment in other brands. Consider Cuisinart, Tramontina, Calphalon and others.

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with your non-stick cookware, Happy Cooking. I've had my Analon cookware for over a dozen years when I replaced my 25-year-old Club Aluminum. The Analon never goes into the dishwasher (unless Himself is left on his own) and I almost never use metal utensils in it. It has served me well and recommend it. Of course, there is the no dishwasher/metal utensil thing. ;)

I also have one each of Calphalon SS (10" fry pan), Emeril (1-qt saucier) copper-core SS and T-Fal (8" fry pan) and have found each of them useful and durable.

If there is a difference between alum. and copper core, almost no one would be able to detect that difference.

I have had different brands of tri-ply SS cookware and I prefer it over the other options. All-Clad is top notch but you can find excellent equipment in other brands. Consider Cuisinart, Tramontina, Calphalon and others.

I actually can tell quite a difference and much prefer the copper core.

Admittedly, I don't own it myself but cook at a friend's house a lot and I cannot wait to get my mitts on her All Clad copper core and cook with it!

Problem is that my 15 year old All Clad pots and pans (seconds from cookware and more) function like new and don't need replacing, so I can't really justify the $$ to buy myself a copper core.

Unless you cook a lot, they're probably not worth the higher price.

And yes, switch from that non-stick to some good stainless cookware!:chef:

I actually can tell quite a difference and much prefer the copper core.

Admittedly, I don't own it myself but cook at a friend's house a lot and I cannot wait to get my mitts on her All Clad copper core and cook with it!

Problem is that my 15 year old All Clad pots and pans (seconds from cookware and more) function like new and don't need replacing, so I can't really justify the $$ to buy myself a copper core.

Unless you cook a lot, they're probably not worth the higher price.

And yes, switch from that non-stick to some good stainless cookware!:chef:

I'm not surprised you can tell the difference.

Maybe you should donate the old stuff to a needy family and treat yourself to new copper core.

Welcome to DC. If you have a question, or need information this is the place to come to. And along the way you will have lots of laughs.

I have Cuisinart. And I love it. One of the main reasons is that the handles do not get hot. And I have no problem with food sticking or burning. They are easy to clean, and I don't have to worry about the coating from non-stick pans becoming part of my meal.

I also have a couple of Revere Ware with copper bottoms. I have had them for more than 30 years and they have served me well. The drawback? Polishing the bottoms. I have a couple of friends that "just have to have the best" in cookware. I have mid-range with the Cuisinart and am pleased with it. My friends after all these years now see, that mid-range in price can give you the same service with proper care. :angel:

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with your non-stick cookware, Happy Cooking. I've had my Analon cookware for over a dozen years when I replaced my 25-year-old Club Aluminum. The Analon never goes into the dishwasher (unless Himself is left on his own) and I almost never use metal utensils in it. It has served me well and recommend it. Of course, there is the no dishwasher/metal utensil thing. ;)

I also have one each of Calphalon SS (10" fry pan), Emeril (1-qt saucier) copper-core SS and T-Fal (8" fry pan) and have found each of them useful and durable.
I'll bet that non-stick wouldn't last as long if you didn't have the SS and used it all the time. ;)

I have one non-stick skillet. We only use it for eggs or stuff with cheese. Really makes for easier clean up. But, I prefer cooking with SS pots or enamelled cast iron or regular cast iron.

Happy Cooking, welcome to DC. I would suggest that you don't buy an entire set of SS cookware. If you buy just one piece, you will get an idea of how well you like it. There are also other excellent choices, such as cast iron and enamelled cast iron. They each have different useful characteristics.

I'll bet that non-stick wouldn't last as long if you didn't have the SS and used it all the time. ;)

I have one non-stick skillet. We only use it for eggs or stuff with cheese. Really makes for easier clean up. But, I prefer cooking with SS pots or enamelled cast iron or regular cast iron.

Happy Cooking, welcome to DC. I would suggest that you don't buy an entire set of SS cookware. If you buy just one piece, you will get an idea of how well you like it. There are also other excellent choices, such as cast iron and enamelled cast iron. They each have different useful characteristics.

I don't know about CG, but my two Circulon Contempo Hard Anodized non stick skillets have been used nearly daily for three years with no signs of wear. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Circulon-Cont..._sim_k_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DH8NW95ZF6T977ZR0V4

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. If you have a question, or need information this is the place to come to. And along the way you will have lots of laughs.

I have Cuisinart. And I love it. One of the main reasons is that the handles do not get hot. And I have no problem with food sticking or burning. They are easy to clean, and I don't have to worry about the coating from non-stick pans becoming part of my meal.

I also have a couple of Revere Ware with copper bottoms. I have had them for more than 30 years and they have served me well. The drawback? Polishing the bottoms. I have a couple of friends that "just have to have the best" in cookware. I have mid-range with the Cuisinart and am pleased with it. My friends after all these years now see, that mid-range in price can give you the same service with proper care. :angel:

Cuisinart Chef's Classic stainless was on my short list for my mom. I started reading reviews on Amazon and the most recent reviews were complaining about corrosion and rust spots. I did some investigating and found someone who actually called Cuisinart and was told that if it isn't stamped with 18/10 than it isn't 18/10. I found out what it was, Macy's seems to be the only one listing that the cookware is 18/4. So Cuisinart has cheapened the product and hopes that nobody will notice. I looked at some in stores and found no 18/10 stamp.

It's a shame, I had decided on that set as it was the one that I was going to buy for myself if I hadn't run across my current set (which I love).

I found an excellent deal at Costco.com and got mom a set of stainless clad cookware in 18/10 for $129, and it is gorgeous, seems slightly nicer than mine!

Hello Everyone,
My apologies if I'm posting incorrectly, this is my first time posting questions to any forum.. I love cooking and have a large family and am in desperate need of some new cookware. I'm tired of the non-stick pans whose coatings keep disintegrating on me and want to upgrade to something that will really last, trying to decide which of the tons of options out there are right for me.. I was hoping to find out people's experiences with stainless steel coating and an aluminum core vs. stainless steel with a copper core. Basically I'm trying to determine if that copper core (like in the All-Clad Copper Core line) provides enough of a difference that it's worth the price difference over an aluminum core (like in the All Clad d5 Brushed stainless steel line). (And if you have another line you'd recommend that's appreciated too.) So if you have any experience with aluminum core or copper core, or even better both :yum: and wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks for listening! Happy Cooking Everyone!
Thanks!
I have a set of stainless steel saucepans and large stockpots woth an aluminium core and hate them with a passion. They are heavy and were expensive so it isn't the quality that is at fault. They are only fit for boiling veg, stock or anything very liquid. Anything thick, eggy or involving milk, burns even on a low light.

My preference is for enamelled cast iron. Le Creuset is frighteningly expensive but you aren't going to have to replace it anytime soon. (Mine is about 40 years old and I expect it will be ok to leave it to my god daughter in another 30 or 40 years. Although it isn't strictly non-stick it has a lot of similar advantages and it's so much better than stainless steel

I have a set of stainless steel saucepans and large stockpots woth an aluminium core and hate them with a passion. They are heavy and were expensive so it isn't the quality that is at fault. They are only fit for boiling veg, stock or anything very liquid. Anything thick, eggy or involving milk, burns even on a low light.

My preference is for enamelled cast iron. Le Creuset is frighteningly expensive but you aren't going to have to replace it anytime soon. (Mine is about 40 years old and I expect it will be ok to leave it to my god daughter in another 30 or 40 years. Although it isn't strictly non-stick it has a lot of similar advantages and it's so much better than stainless steel

I love my stainless, I've had zero issues with it, I make pastry creams in them with great results. I can simmer a tomato sauce for hours on low without it cooking on to the bottom of a pan.

I love my cast iron and Enameled cast iron as well.

I have a 20+ year old All Clad LTD pan that is like new even after lots of use. I can not see myself ever needing to replace it.

I'll bet that non-stick wouldn't last as long if you didn't have the SS and used it all the time. ;)..
Actually, taxy, my Analon is my go-to cookware, and has been for about a dozen years. The Calphalon is just a few years old, and rarely used. In fact, I'll reach for my Wagner (35 years old this summer) or Lodge cast iron before I pull out the stainless steel. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you so much for all the great advice everyone!! I really appreciate all the insights and the brand recommendations! It definitely helps to get the opinions of folks who actually cook with multiple types of cookware, not just tried one pot and either loved or hated it. Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated! Thank you!! Happy Cooking

Back
Top Bottom