Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Eggs, Cheese & Dairy (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   What's your favorite recipe that used gorgonzola cheese? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/whats-your-favorite-recipe-that-used-gorgonzola-cheese-92583.html)

legend_018 03-21-2015 04:37 PM

What's your favorite recipe that used gorgonzola cheese?

Hi. What's your favorite recipe that uses gorgonzola cheese? I bet it would go great in a salad especially since I love blue cheese in a salad. Anyone have a particular recipe that they absolutely love due to the gorgonzola cheese?

PrincessFiona60 03-21-2015 05:49 PM

I had a pear and gorgonzola salad that was wonderful, but I don't have a recipe, ate it at a restaurant and it had a walnut vinaigrette. I think it was on arugula.

I like making a dill rye and Gorgonzola grilled cheese sandwich.

Silversage 03-21-2015 05:55 PM

I do a salad that sounds similar, PF.

mesculin
sliced beets
julienned pear
candied walnuts
crumbled gorgonzola
balsamic vinaigrette

But your idea of a walnut vinaigrette sounds wonderful! I think I'm going hunting for a recipe.

Whiskadoodle 03-21-2015 06:05 PM

This is the late and very generous Kadesma’s Gorgonzola and Pear Salad that I have made. I like how she wrote out recipes with instructions as you go.

Grill or toast 4 slices of Italian bread til crispy. Arrange on plates or a small platter the arugula,2 thin sliced fennels, pears 2 thin sliced and 200 g. of gorgonzola crumbles. To serve drizzle over a little balsamic white or red and evoo then hit it with salt and coarse cracked black pepper. this will serve 4 as a starter or side dish.
--
This must be my interpretation of Kade's recipe since I wrote it in my notes when I saved her recipe
o 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves, toasted
o about 4 cups arugula or torn salad greens, trimmed washed & dried
o 1/2 cup balsamic or red wine vinaigrette
o 2 to 3 pears, cored & sliced Don't Peel PEARS
o Radish slices
o cuke peeled, seeded and cut in half moons
o peapods sliced on diagonal
o small red onion sliced thin
o 1/4 lb gorgonzola, crumbled

legend_018 03-21-2015 06:06 PM

a had some asparagus I needed to cook and ended up heating up some broth and then cooking the asparagus in it, blending it with the immersion blender at the end. When I heat a bowl up, I'd like to try putting some of the cheese in it. Let it melt in the heat of the soup, add some salt and pepper.

Aunt Bea 03-21-2015 06:19 PM

We used to have a restaurant in town called Chumley's that made a Gorgonzola cheese french bread pizza thing that was wonderful!

It was a quarter of a baguette covered with a spread made from Gorgonzola, herbs and butter that was liberally smeared on the baguette and run under the broiler until it was bubbly. Sort of a Gorgonzola compound butter on toast.

larry_stewart 03-21-2015 06:24 PM

Went to a restaurant in philly years ago that made a Cheese tortellini with a creamy tomato / gorgonzola sauce.

It was great. Went back there a few years later to order the same thing, and the place had switched owners ( and apparently chefs) and unfortunately, it was off the menu. Ive tried to recreate it the best to my memory, but nothing ever compared.

Whiskadoodle 03-21-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry_stewart (Post 1414297)
Went to a restaurant in philly years ago that made a Cheese tortellini with a creamy tomato / gorgonzola sauce.

It was great. Went back there a few years later to order the same thing, and the place had switched owners ( and apparently chefs) and unfortunately, it was off the menu. Ive tried to recreate it the best to my memory, but nothing ever compared.

I wonder if you added a dabble of wine to the sauce if it might improve its character ?

PrincessFiona60 03-21-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1414296)
We used to have a restaurant in town called Chumley's that made a Gorgonzola cheese french bread pizza thing that was wonderful!

It was a quarter of a baguette covered with a spread made from Gorgonzola, herbs and butter that was liberally smeared on the baguette and run under the broiler until it was bubbly. Sort of a Gorgonzola compound butter on toast.

Okay, now I have to go play with the bleu cheese in the fridge, no baguette, but I could put it on a plate or in a bowl and use celery sticks to dip.

Cheryl J 03-21-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1414293)
This is the late and very generous Kadesma’s Gorgonzola and Pear Salad that I have made. I like how she wrote out recipes with instructions as you go.

Grill or toast 4 slices of Italian bread til crispy. Arrange on plates or a small platter the arugula,2 thin sliced fennels, pears 2 thin sliced and 200 g. of gorgonzola crumbles. To serve drizzle over a little balsamic white or red and evoo then hit it with salt and coarse cracked black pepper. this will serve 4 as a starter or side dish.
--
This must be my interpretation of Kade's recipe since I wrote it in my notes when I saved her recipe
o 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves, toasted
o about 4 cups arugula or torn salad greens, trimmed washed & dried
o 1/2 cup balsamic or red wine vinaigrette
o 2 to 3 pears, cored & sliced Don't Peel PEARS
o Radish slices
o cuke peeled, seeded and cut in half moons
o peapods sliced on diagonal
o small red onion sliced thin
o 1/4 lb gorgonzola, crumbled

This sounds so good. :yum: So do the other suggestions. I've only had gorgonzola once or twice - going to have to get some and make this.

legend_018 03-21-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1414301)
I wonder if you added a dabble of wine to the sauce if it might improve its character ?

I saw a recipe online that seemed so easy. It was basically roasting tomatoes, garlic, onion and red peppers and blending it with gorgonzola, mascarpone and spices

I love recipes that don't have a million ingredients and a million steps.

Bookbrat 03-21-2015 07:43 PM

Our little wine bar used to serve dates stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped with prosciutto and baked.

I always thought I disliked gorgonzola, but those things changed my mind. I even got brave and bought a little chunk of blue cheese....can they be used interchangeably?

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend_018 (Post 1414304)
It was basically roasting tomatoes, garlic, onion and red peppers and blending it with gorgonzola, mascarpone and spices

That sounds good....

legend_018 03-21-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookbrat (Post 1414308)
Our little wine bar used to serve dates stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped with prosciutto and baked.

oh my that could be a too die for appetizer to bring to a party.

larry_stewart 03-21-2015 07:50 PM

Just came from a party, and during the cocktail hour, they were walking around with crackers that had a thin layer of Jam ( maybe apricot jam) with a sprinkle of gorgonzola on top. They were pretty good, as long as the cheese / jam ratio was good. Some had a little too much cheese which was overpowering

Steve Kroll 03-21-2015 08:34 PM

I used to make a flatbread pizza with olive oil, Gorgonzola, caramelized balsamic onions, walnuts, and arugula. It was awesome.

letscook 03-22-2015 08:07 AM

a cracker of your choice slice of apples or pear then the cheese then in the mouth

simple and tasty

CWS4322 03-22-2015 09:52 AM

We always had green beans, with a blue cheese, walnuts, and dressing on the Smorgasbord. This was a side for the dishes on the hot table. We called the dish Danish green beans. Here's a link that is very close to how we would make it. You have to add the cheese when the beans are close to or at room temperature-otherwise it melts. You can add bacon, dried cranberries, use almonds instead of walnuts...

Green Bean, Walnut & Blue Cheese Salad Recipe from Eileen McGlynn Scanlon

salt and pepper 03-22-2015 10:27 AM

Melted over a T-Bone or Rib-Eye

Gravy Queen 03-23-2015 04:52 AM

It's great In this lasagne :
Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne with Pine Nuts - Italian - Recipes - from Delia Online

Aunt Bea 03-23-2015 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salt and pepper (Post 1414413)
Melted over a T-Bone or Rib-Eye

It also makes a great stuffing for a strip steak.

Just cut a pocket in the steak, fill it with cheese and grill as usual.

It's great by itself by or you can add mushrooms, bacon, chopped shallots etc...! :yum:

The first time I had this was at Brother Sebastian's in Omaha Nebraska.

Brother Sebastian’s Steak House & Winery | Omaha, Nebraska