Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Adapted and rewritten from "Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs." A recipe from EPCOT, Canada, Le Cellier Steakhouse Restaurant.

1/2 pound bacon, cut in 1/2 inch dice
1 medium red onion, cut in 1/4 inch dice
3 celery ribs, cut in 1/4 dice
4 TBLS butter
1 cup AP flour (this was WAY too much), I'll cut down to at least 1/2 cup next time
2 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
3/4 pound grated sharp white cheddar
1 TBLS Tobasco sauce
1 TBLS Worchestershire sauce
S and P to taste
1/2 cup warm beer

Chopped scallions or chives for garnish (optional)

In a large Dutch-oven or heavy bottomed type pot, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally until brown and starting to crisp.

Add the red onion, celery and butter and cook until onion and celery are starting to soften.

Add the flour and cook for about 4 minutes stirring constantly. Start whisking in the chicken broth, bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add the milk and simmer for 15 minutes, do NOT allow to boil after the milk is added.

Remove from heat, stir in cheese, Tobasco, Worchestershire, return to low heat and continue to stir until cheese is totally melted. Add warm beer and stir. S and P to taste. Serve hot.

If soup is too thick, thin with stock or beer or more milk.

NOTES: As above, 1 cup of flour was way too much, I think that was a misprint somewhere along the way. 1/2 cup may even be too much. We had to use a LOT more liquid than recipe called for to have a soup, probably at least 2-1/2 to 3 more cups.

I did use the whole bottle of beer. We used a dark beer. Tried to find a Canadian one but couldn't in the neighborhood grocery/liquor store. We'd have used Molson's Dark if we'd found it. You could definitely taste the beer in the soup with the whole bottle so just use the 1/2 cup if you don't want that.

I'd probably also use yellow sharp cheddar just for the color factor next time.

Last edited:
:yum: This is very similar to how I make beer cheese soup. I usually cut way back on the flour too, or just leave it out.

The first time I had beer cheese soup was when I lived in Wisconsin a few eons ago. A staple there. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe MT. I think you're right about the yellow cheddar, and any guesses how it would be made with wine? SousChef likes beer but I'm not a fan unless it's an IPA that tastes more like wine to me.

I think it would be fine with a Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio. Craig made a comment about how it would make a good fondue, before we thinned it out, if it was made with wine. I told him yes but that you can also make fondue with beer. However, i think if you made it with just the half cup you wouldn't taste the beer in the soup and Souschef could drink the leftovers! :)

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but beer just melds so nicely with cheese soup. Wouldn't mind a glass or two of pinot grigio on the side ;)

Last edited:
Thanks MT...it's been copied and pasted with notes. I'm thinking an IPA beer would make us both happy, and the fondue idea is great. :yum:

I like the way you think Dawg.;)

Last edited:
Thanks Medtran. I have saved it. Gonna give this a try soon. Even though I'm not a big fan of beer, I have used it successfully in gravies.

Thanks, medtran....that sounds like a good soup. I'd make it, beer and all. Copied and saved with your notes. :yum:

Last edited:
FWIW, a lot of the cheddar cheese here is white. I bought some Balderson's this week, and it was only available as a white aged cheddar.

Back
Top Bottom